Your weeknight dinner solution is here! These Crockpot Chicken Fajitas pack delicious fajita veggies + perfectly cooked chicken breasts + flavorful fajita seasonings.
Everything is cooked in the crockpot itself, making this the easy dinner of your dreams.
This crockpot chicken fajita recipe is seriously a one pot, set it and forget it recipe! You’ll place all your ingredients in the crockpot (including this flavorful homemade fajita seasoning!) and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 6 hours, and voila! Chicken fajitas are served! If you’re looking for an easy weeknight din, this is it.
“Awesome and simple recipe. Easy to store and eat throughout the week. The recipe recommends serving with tacos, but I’ve enjoyed serving with rice.” – Matt
What You Need for Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken breast: we love using whole chicken breasts for crockpot chicken fajitas because they cook perfectly in the slow cooker and come out super moist.
- Peppers & onions: any variety of bell peppers and onion will work for this recipe! We love using one red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper and red onion for pops of color, but feel free to use whatever variety you prefer.
- Fajita seasoning: we always recommend using our homemade fajita seasoning, but you’re more than welcome to sub a store-bought fajita seasoning packet instead.
- Salsa: these slow cooker chicken fajitas call for a cup of your favorite salsa. Feel free to use your favorite kind (mild, medium, or hot).
Tips for Perfect Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
The key to getting the tender, perfectly cooked chicken for this recipe is to cook the breasts WHOLE in your crockpot before taking the cooked breasts out and slicing fajita-style right before serving. We tested this recipe slicing the chicken raw and then cooking, but the chicken was over-cooked and tough.
Don’t skimp on the salsa. This will ensure that the chicken has enough moisture throughout the entire cooking process. No one likes dry chicken!
Can you put frozen chicken in the crockpot?
According to food safety laws, we do not recommend putting frozen chicken in your crockpot. It will likely take too long for the chicken to fully thaw and cook in a safe amount of time to avoid e-coli and other foodborne illnesses.
Does taco seasoning work on chicken?
Can you freeze crockpot chicken fajitas?
To freeze, place all ingredients raw into a gallon-size plastic bag and remove as much air as possible. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to cook, thaw completely and follow the instructions in this recipe card.
Does fajita seasoning work well on chicken?
Fajita seasoning works well on many varieties of meat and veggies, including chicken. You’ll love the flavor enhancing qualities of this fajita seasoning when used on chicken.
More Fajita Recipes
- Keto Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Recipe
- Fajita Breakfast Burritos
- Turkey Fajita Egg Cups
- Fajita Nachos with Avocado Crema
Toppings for Fajitas
Feel free to make this recipe your own, and add your favorite fajita toppings. You’ll find us serving our crockpot chicken fajitas with the following (depending on what we have on hand):
- Shredded cheese or crumbled cotija
- Lettuce or cabbage
- Greek yogurt
- Diced onion
- Diced tomato
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Squeeze of lime juice
How to Serve Fajitas
No need to stick with the traditional hard or soft shell taco if you’re looking for a low carb or GF option instead! These crockpot chicken fajitas are great in so many different ways, like:
In a soft shell: we love flour, corn and Siete’s cassava flour soft shells!
In a hard shell: Siete also makes a hard shell taco shell that we love. Otherwise, you’ll find us grabbing the traditional hard shell corn tortilla.
In a lettuce wrap: We love using romaine hearts or cabbage leaves for a delicious and low carb lettuce wrap fajita!
As a salad: Who doesn’t love a chicken fajita salad?! Simply put fajita veggies + the fajita chicken over a bed of lettuce, and you’re on your way to a delicious fajita salad.
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- 4 tablespoons fajita seasoning separated
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 large bell peppers any color, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup salsa any kind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8-10 flour street taco tortillas
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream to taste
- Season the chicken breasts with 2 tablespoons of fajita seasoning. Massage the dry rub into the chicken and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Toss the peppers and onions with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and the remaining fajita seasoning.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker and place the peppers and onions on top of the chicken.
- Add the salt and salsa to the slow cooker and toss.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook everything for 2 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. Toss the peppers and onions (if possible) halfway through the cooking time.
- When the chicken’s internal temperature is 165ºF remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Slice into thin strips and add it back into the slow cooker. Toss with the peppers, onions, and sauce.
- Turn the heat on the slow cooker to warm and let the chicken soak up the sauce for 10-15 minutes.
- Add fresh lime juice, toss, and serve with your favorite fajita fixings.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe was updated 8/2023. For the original recipe, please see HERE.
- Chicken thighs can be used instead of chicken breasts.
- You can use a store-bought fajita seasoning or a homemade fajita seasoning.
- If you would like to add spice to this recipe add 1-2 tablespoons of diced jalapenos, ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, or use spicy salsa.
- Feel free to use corn tortillas instead of flour.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.