We love making this banana mug cake for one for a quick dessert or breakfast idea. This mug cake recipe is a single serving making it the perfect portion-controlled dessert.
Single-serve desserts are such a fun thing to whip up if you’re looking for a portion-controlled recipe or live alone.
This banana mug cake tastes just like our Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, but is made in a mug and serves 1 person! Let’s get started.
Banana Mug Cake Ingredients
First things first, it’s time to assemble your ingredients. Here’s what you need with a few modification suggestions:
- mashed banana – if you’re not a fan of banana (not sure why you landed on this recipe :P), feel free to use any fruit puree such as pumpkin or applesauce.
- egg – we have not tried this recipe without eggs, but if you’re willing to give it a shot, you can use a flax egg.
- butter – option to sub melted coconut oil instead!
- white whole wheat flour – try using all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose four instead!
- baking powder – a little goes a long way for one serving.
- cinnamon – option to omit or use something like chai spice.
- coconut sugar – feel free to swap for another granulated sugar. We recommend brown sugar.
- chocolate chips – this recipe is still delish without chocolate chips, but why do that to yourself?!
You’ll want to make sure that you have a medium/large mug or microwave-safe bowl
How to Make a Mug Cake
Making a mug cake is easy and takes less than 5 minutes. First things first, get yourself a medium/large mug or small bowl (yes, bowls work, too!). Make sure that it’s microwave and/or oven safe. Now, let’s get cooking!
First, spray your mug with nonstick cooking spray or rub it with butter or coconut oil.
Then, place all ingredients into your mug and use a whisk or fork to mix. I like to start off by mashing my banana on the bottom of the mug. Then, I whisk the egg, and then I add the rest of the ingredients.
Option to add more chocolate chips on top for presentation (and more chocolate).
Tip: for better presentation and easier cleaning, mix your mug cake in a separate bowl and then transfer into your mug.
We’re sharing 2 cooking options below. The oven method will give you more of a traditional cake/muffin texture, but it takes much longer whereas the microwave cooks much faster, but the results are a bit denser.
Oven: Bake at 350ºF for 22-25 minutes.
Microwave: Cook on high for 60-90 seconds.
Once your mug cake is fully cooked, it’s time to dig in! We recommend eating IMMEDIATELY 😀
More Mug Cake Recipes
Banana Mug Cake Recipe
- 2 tablespoons mashed banana
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- Begin by spraying a medium/large size mug or bowl with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then, add the mashed banana, egg, and melted butter to the mug and whisk them together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mug and mix until combined.
- Microwave: Place the mug cake into the microwave and cook on high for 60-90 seconds.
- Oven: Bake at 350ºF for 22-25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe was updated on April 23rd, 2020.
I added too many chocolate chips. But the banana cake was delicious. I also added more bananas, and it tasted great.
Is there such a thing as too many chocolate chips?! 😉
I love this soooooooooo much! It always comes out just fine. I make this for my family, and I’ll set all the mugs out and basically make an assembly line. 😂 Thanks for this recipe.
CUTEEE. I love this!
Tasted great! I used pumpkin instead of bannana and I only had 2 eggs so I added about a teaspoon of chia and 2 tablespoons of water. Then I ommitied the chocolate chips and added some extra walnut filling we had leftover from walnut bread rolls. (Essentially crushed walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon) I also used some on the top as a streusel.
Love your swaps!
Hi, do you have the old single serve banana chocolate chip cake recipe archived? I went to my bookmark and was led to this updated recipe. If so, please point me toward it. Thanks!
Yes, here you go! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BeSiX7BWeaFUpaZpLYWHWhuN2Rt2TfY7/view?usp=sharing
I gotta ask, is the Big “T” in the recipe tablespoon and the little “t” for teaspoon?
Ahhh yes! This is an older recipe. I’m going to go in and update it, but T = Tablespoon and t = teaspoon! Thanks for pointing this out 🙂
I just made this and I have to say, it was DELICIOUS! I’ve never had good luck with single serve cakes before. I don’t really know why, they just always turned out so-so. But I was so in the mood for a banana cake, and I knew I couldn’t make a whole cake because I’d eat it all (:P), so I decided to try this recipe and I’m so glad I did. It’s already been saved to my all-time favorite recipes 🙂 Thank you!
Great recipe! I often make it without the chocolate, but pour a little maple syrup over the top when its done, per Diana’s suggestion. I’m pretty crazy with banana ratios – it can get a little soupy if I put in too much banana. Also, I bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Works for my oven. Thanks for the inspiration!
This is all great feedback! Thank you so much for the comment 🙂 Everyone’s ovens cook differently and it also depends on where you are compared to sea level 🙂 I like the sounds of your modifications, though!
Has anyone tried this in the microwave?
Yes just made it in the microwave 😃 pretty good, I put in a little extra chocolate chips…it reminded me of a banana and chocolate chip pancake Yummy
just made this! added a little bit of maple syrup. it was DELISH!
Earth balance is Dairy free it is Vegan
This recipe looks amazing – I’ll be trying it tonight 🙂 Just a note, Earth Balance IS vegan (dairy free)!
I’m going to make this for my kids tonight. Yummy!
Looks yummy! We are not a GF or soy milk house, so I assume I could use regular flour and low-fat milk?
I love making SINGLE SERVING foods because… I hate sharing, LOL!!!!!!!! It’s the truth, I’m sorry that I am not sorry, Ah ha ha ha!
Ohhhh how simple and delicious! Pinning!
Yummmm Need to try this! Bookmarking!
UMMMM. OMG. YUMMM!
Oh yum – this looks fantastic! I love single serving treats like this!! Pinning for later. 🙂