We love making this banana mug cake for one for a quick dessert or breakfast idea. This mug cake recipe is a single serving making it the perfect portion-controlled dessert.
Single-serve desserts are such a fun thing to whip up if you’re looking for a portion-controlled recipe or live alone.
This banana mug cake tastes just like our Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, but is made in a mug and serves 1 person! Let’s get started.
Banana Mug Cake Ingredients
First things first, it’s time to assemble your ingredients. Here’s what you need with a few modification suggestions:
- mashed banana – if you’re not a fan of banana (not sure why you landed on this recipe :P), feel free to use any fruit puree such as pumpkin or applesauce.
- egg – we have not tried this recipe without eggs, but if you’re willing to give it a shot, you can use a flax egg.
- butter – option to sub melted coconut oil instead!
- white whole wheat flour – try using all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose four instead!
- baking powder – a little goes a long way for one serving.
- cinnamon – option to omit or use something like chai spice.
- coconut sugar – feel free to swap for another granulated sugar. We recommend brown sugar.
- chocolate chips – this recipe is still delish without chocolate chips, but why do that to yourself?!
You’ll want to make sure that you have a medium/large mug or microwave-safe bowl
How to Make a Mug Cake
Making a mug cake is easy and takes less than 5 minutes. First things first, get yourself a medium/large mug or small bowl (yes, bowls work, too!). Make sure that it’s microwave and/or oven safe. Now, let’s get cooking!
First, spray your mug with nonstick cooking spray or rub it with butter or coconut oil.
Then, place all ingredients into your mug and use a whisk or fork to mix. I like to start off by mashing my banana on the bottom of the mug. Then, I whisk the egg, and then I add the rest of the ingredients.
Option to add more chocolate chips on top for presentation (and more chocolate).
Tip: for better presentation and easier cleaning, mix your mug cake in a separate bowl and then transfer into your mug.
We’re sharing 2 cooking options below. The oven method will give you more of a traditional cake/muffin texture, but it takes much longer whereas the microwave cooks much faster, but the results are a bit denser.
Oven: Bake at 350ºF for 22-25 minutes.
Microwave: Cook on high for 60-90 seconds.
Once your mug cake is fully cooked, it’s time to dig in! We recommend eating IMMEDIATELY 😀
More Mug Cake Recipes
Banana Mug Cake Recipe
- 2 tablespoons mashed banana
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon butter melted
- Begin by spraying a medium/large size mug or bowl with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then, add the mashed banana, egg, and melted butter to the mug and whisk them together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mug and mix until combined.
- Microwave: Place the mug cake into the microwave and cook on high for 60-90 seconds.
- Oven: Bake at 350ºF for 22-25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe was updated on April 23rd, 2020.