Take classic margaritas up a notch with this grapefruit margarita recipe! Made with grapefruit juice and jalapeño infused tequila, these grapefruit margaritas are equally refreshing and spicy.
We are big fans of fun cocktails here at Fit Foodie Finds! While we have plenty of margarita recipes to choose from, we don’t have one quite like this. Meet our spicy grapefruit margarita – it’s spicy, sweet, citrusy, and wildly delicious.
This grapefruit margarita recipe is inspired by Linley’s mother-in-law and features jalapeño-infused tequila, lots of lime, and freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Shake it all up and serve over ice for a simply irresistible (and gorgeous) cocktail!
“Delicious. A summer go to for sure!” – Kelley
What You Need for Grapefruit Margaritas
These cocktails come together with classic margarita ingredients + a few fun extras:
- Fresh lime juice and grapefruit juice
- Jalapeño slices
- Simple syrup
Grapefruit Margarita Variations
Have fun with this recipe and mix things up to really make these cocktails your own!
Tequila: The higher quality the tequila the better-tasting your margs will be.
Spice: For a non-spicy grapefruit margarita, omit the jalapeños completely (use regular tequila) or let the tequila infuse with the peppers for less time (about 10-15 minutes instead of 30).
Batch Cocktail: This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. Mix everything up in a pitcher and it’s ready for a crowd! If you know you’ll make these often, make a big batch of the spicy jalapeño tequila. Cut a whole jalapeño and place it in a whole bottle of tequila to use whenever you want.
Can you use bottled juice?
Freshly squeezed juice is 100x better – don’t use bottled grapefruit or lime juices for these margaritas.
How do you infuse tequila?
For this jalapeño-infused tequila, chop up some jalapeños and let them sit in the tequila for at least 30 minutes. This extra step is so worth it! For super spicy tequila, let the tequila infuse with the peppers overnight.
How do you make these margaritas not spicy?
Simply skip infusing the tequila with the jalapeño slices. The grapefruit margs will be equally as delicious without the spice!
For best results, make these grapefruit margaritas immediately prior to serving.
Fun Rims: Get creative and serve these grapefruit margaritas with fun rims! We like to use sea salt + paprika + cayenne + coconut sugar. So good!
Garnishes: Add a fresh slice of grapefruit, lime wedge, or jalapeño round to each glass before serving.
Grapefruit Margarita Recipe
- 2 oz. tequila
- 2 oz. grapefruit juice
- 2 oz. lime juice
- 2 jalapeño slices + more for serving
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- 1 – 2 cups ice
- Place tequila in a jar or cup. Then, add in a couple of slices of jalapeños plus the seeds. Let sit for at least 30 minutes so that the tequila can get infused with the spice.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of ice to a cocktail shaker and then pour in the infused tequila. Add the rest of the ingredients. Option to add more simple syrup, depending on your preference.
- Give the shaker a good shake so that everything gets mixed together.
- Serve over ice with fresh grapefruit slices, jalapeño slices, and a salty rim.
Tips & Notes
- Not Spicy Margaritas: For non-spicy grapefruit margarita, omit the jalapeños completely (use regular tequila) or let the tequila infuse with the peppers for less time (about 10-15 minutes instead of 30).
- Batch Margaritas: This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. Mix everything up in a pitcher and it’s ready for a crowd! If you know you’ll make these often, make a big batch of the spicy jalapeño tequila. Cut a whole jalapeño and place it in a whole bottle of tequila to use whenever you want.