With just 5 basic ingredients you can whip up the best frozen margarita recipe in under 10 minutes! Make these frozen margaritas all summer long!
Frozen margaritas are a summer staple and now you can make them in your own home! Like our Spicy Grapefruit Margarita, these frozen margaritas are made with a few simple ingredients and lots of flavor.
How to Make Frozen Margaritas
We love this cocktail recipe because we’re huge fans of the tequila + lime combination. It’s smoky, full of citrus, and an absolute dream. This frozen margarita recipe calls for all of the classic margarita ingredients plus the addition of ice…because after all, this recipe is blended!
What you need
- Tequila – our favorite is Conmigo
- Orange liqueur – triple sec or Cointreau
- Lime juice – the fresher the better!
- Agave nectar – for a little sweet
We chose to sweeten our frozen margarita with agave nectar, but we’ve also made this recipe with homemade simple syrup, so the option is yours! We recommend using freshly squeezed lime juice for the best results because, well, the fresher the better!
In order to really make this frozen margarita perfect, we recommend using a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix. You want to make sure that you use something that is strong enough to pulverize the ice into a slushy so that you get that classic frozen margarita consistency.
- Place all of the ingredients into your blender.
- Blend on high until it’s smooth and has a slushy consistency. Feel free to add more ice as needed. S
- Serve in a salt-rimmed glass with a lime wedge and lime zest for garnish.
How to Salt a Rim for Margaritas
To put the cherry on top of this frozen margarita recipe, we love salting the rim of the glass before pouring in your frozen margarita concoction. Here’s what you need:
- coarse sea salt
All you need to do is moisten the rims of the margarita glasses you want to use with water. We do this by pouring water onto a small plate and then dipping the rim of the glass into the water. From there, dip the rim onto a small plate of coarse sea salt. The water will allow the sea salt to stick to the glass.
Love a frozen margarita, but want to mix it up? Here are some simple variations!
Mango: try our frozen mango margarita by adding some frozen mango into the mix!
Strawberry: you’ll love our strawberry margarita. Strawberries add a bit of tartness and a gorgeous red color to this classic cocktail.
Common Margarita Questions
It really depends how much alcohol is used in your frozen margarita recipe, but typically margaritas on the rocks taste a little bit stronger because it is not blended with ice. You can always make your frozen margarita stronger by adding a splash more of tequila to the top of each glass.
Ingredients for a classic margarita include lime juice, tequila, triple sec, and agave nectar (or another sweetener).
For every 1.5 ounces of tequila, we suggest adding 1.5 ounces of lime juice, 1 ounce of triple sec, and 1/2 tablespoon of agave nectar. From there, you can either serve it on the rocks or blend it with 1 cup of ice per serving.
If you don’t have triple sec at home, don’t worry! You can always make your margaritas without it. Just omit it and add more agave nectar to taste.
Frozen Margarita Recipe
- 6 oz. tequila 3/4 cup
- 4 oz. orange liqueur we used triple sec (1/2 cup)
- 6 oz. fresh lime juice 3/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 4 cups ice or more to taste
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until smooth. If you want a thicker frozen margarita, add more ice.
- Serve margarita in a salt-rimmed glass with a fresh lime wedge.
Tips & Notes
- We highly recommend using a high-speed blender like a Vitamix for this recipe. You need to use something that is powerful enough to pulverize the ice!
- Feel free to add more agave nectar to sweeten as desired.
- Option to serve this recipe on the rocks instead of blending everything together.