Say hello to our gorgeous skinny margarita recipe that we like to call –> Fit Foodie Margaritas!
Our signature skinny margarita recipe is made with 4 simple ingredients: lime juice, tequila, ice, and your choice of honey or agave simple syrup!
Why make this Skinny Margarita?
Why not make these margs?! There’s nothing better than a perfectly sweetened citrussy margarita with a salty rim.
- Single-serve and pitcher option – we’re providing both a single-serve option and a pitcher margarita option to serve a crowd!
- Refined sugar-free – our skinny margarita recipe is made without refined sugars OR artificial sweeteners.
- Naturally gluten-free – the ingredients in a margarita are naturally gluten-free. We’re also sharing a vegan option!
- Citrussy and refreshing – if you love citrus, you will fall head over heels for this drink.
What makes this a “skinny margarita?”
Oh the burning question, why is it even called a skinny margarita? Classic margaritas are actually already made with minimal ingredients, so the biggest thing with a “skinny margarita” is to cut the sugar count and if possible, make it sugar free!
Sugar free? Well, refined sugar free at least! We’re big on all-natural sweeteners and try and stay away from the weird fake sugar products at all costs. That’s why you’ll still see a handful of grams of all-natural sugar in our recipe.
We decided not to use a low-calorie sweetener such as stevia, because in our honest opinion, it really takes away from the flavor and authenticity of the drink.
Skinny Marg Ingredients
Every good margarita begins with fresh, juicy limes. That’s right, none of that pre-packaged lime juice, people. Use real limes and squeeze them right before mixing!
There is nothing worse than a hangover from bad tequila and that’s why what tequila you buy matters! Spend a little extra dough on high-quality tequila…your hangover will thank you later.
Favorite tequila for margaritas:
- Honey – a nuttier flavor and more pantry-friendly.
- Agave – more traditional and vegan!
Both honey and agave carry around the same amount of calories and sugar. So, whichever one you decide to go with is okay!
But where’s the triple sec? For years we’ve been making our Fit Foodie Margarita sans triple sec. Triple sec is a sweet liqueur that does include refined sugar, which is why we opted not to use it in this recipe.
itching for some orange?
Since classic margaritas are made with triple sec, an orange liquor, you could add a splash of orange juice to this skinny margarita for a hint of orange.
We used the same ratio of tequila to lime juice to simple syrup for both recipes. Here’s the equation you need to know: 2 to 2 to 1
- 2-oz. tequila
- 2-oz. lime juice
- 1-oz. simple syrup
So, whether you want to serve 1, 2, or 8, just use that 2 to 2 to 1 ratio!
How to Make Pitcher Margs
Because why wouldn’t you want to mass-produce these margs? In the recipe card below, you’ll see we’re giving a recipe for both pitcher margaritas and a single-serve marg.
Simple pitcher directions: Simply, place 6 cups of ice into a large pitcher. Then, add in 16 oz. (or about 2 cups) of freshly squeezed lime juice, 16 oz. tequila, and 8 oz. honey simple syrup. Use a long wooden spoon to mix until combined.
don’t forget to salt the rim!
Finally, don’t forget to salt your rim for a classic “margarita on the rocks.” Simply pour coarse sea salt onto a plate and tap it a few times to even it out. Then, dip the rim of your glass in water and then into the salt.
What to Serve with Skinny Margaritas
Before we let you go we thought we’d give you some healthy Mexican recipe inspo to complete your fiesta!
- Tacos – when in doubt make tacos! Here are some favs: ground beef tacos, IP lentil tacos, crockpot chicken tacos.
- Apps – whip up our Mexican street corn salad, mango guacamole, black bean hummus, or loaded chicken nachos.
- Sides – try our grilled Mexican street corn or Mexican quinoa salad!
Honey Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey (or agave nectar)*
- 16-oz. fresh lime juice (~2 cups)
- 16-oz. high-quality tequila (~2 cups)
- 8-oz. honey simple syrup (entire recipe from above) (~1 cup)
- 6 cups ice
- 2-oz. fresh lime juice
- 2-oz. high-quality tequila
- 1-oz. honey simple syrup
- optional: splash of orange juice
- First prepare the honey simple syrup and add the water and honey to a small pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes (stirring periodically). Remove from heat and let cool.
- For a pitcher of margaritas, fill a large pitcher with around 6 cups of ice. Then, place 16 fl. oz lime juice, 16 fl. oz. tequila, and 8 fl. oz. of honey simple syrup into a pitcher. Use a long wooden spoon to mix to combine. Serve over ice with fresh lime slices and a salty rim.
- For a single-serve margarita, place a handful of ice into a cocktail shaker. Then, add 2 fl. oz. lime juice, 2 fl. oz. tequila, and 1 fl. oz. honey simple syrup. Place the top on and shake to combine. Serve over ice with limes and a salty rim.
Tips & Notes
- Honey: option to swap the honey for agave nectar. Both are great choices for this skinny margarita.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/10 Calories: 220 Sugar: 29 Fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 33 Fiber: 1 Protein: 0
Keywords: skinny margarita, skinny margarita recipe