Looking for a show-stopping healthy appetizer for game day? Make this Mexican Black Bean Hummus for the ultimate snack.
When it comes to healthy dips, we’ve got you covered! From this black bean hummus to this baked spinach artichoke dip or this roasted garlic caramelized onion dip, you’ll never be at a loss for healthy dips to serve your family or guests!
I Dip You Dip We Dip
It’s no secret that if you can eat it with a chip…I LOVE IT. On the daily, I use almost any excuse to add chips to my meals. This is why I love dips, spreads, and salsas. Chips are THE PERFECT vessel for consumption. It’s the crunch and the salt that I crave.
So…this black bean hummus is LEGIT and so delicious paired with corn tortilla chips! We’ve got some pretty nummy hummus recipes on FFF: Roasted Red Pepper, Lemon Garlic, Sweet Potato, and Avocado Hummus and this just adds to the collection! Hummus really is the PERFECT afternoon snack or great addition to any superfood bowl on the planet.
Black Bean Hummus Goodness
This isn’t your classic hummus, people. The base of this hummus is made with black beans instead of garbanzo, but still has ingredients from classic hummus:
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
Did I mention it’s layered?
- Black beans
- Fresh n’ zesty toppings
What makes this recipe so amazeballs is the toppings! We tossed fresh tomato, red onion, cilantro, and cotija cheese in rice vinegar for a bit of a zing and some great texture. So so soooo good.
A little bit of vinegar goes a long way in bringing out fresh flavors. We used Nakano Rice Vinegar, which is readily available at most grocery stores and Target! My favorite flavor is the natural variation. Green bottle.
More Dip Recipes
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Roasted Garlic Caramelized Onion Dip
- Classic Guacamole
- Healthy Chili Cheese Dip
- ALL Dip Recipes
- 2 cups black beans, rinsed and divided (1.5 cups + 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (or any kind of hot sauce)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup red onions, finely diced
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon Nakano Rice Vinegar
- 1/8 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cotija cheese crumbles
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Place 1/2 cup of black beans on the bottom of a bowl. Set aside.
- Next, place remaining black beans in a high-speed food processor along with tahini, olive oil, garlic, sriracha, lime juice, salt, and cumin. Blend until smooth. You may need to use a spatula to scrape the sides a few times to ensure everything gets blended. If the hummus still seems too thick, add a tablespoon or two more of olive oil. Once it’s reached the desired consistency, pour on top of black beans.
- To make the topping, toss red onions, tomato, cilantro, and cojita cheese in sea salt and rice vinegar. Then, sprinkle on top of hummus.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 recipe Calories: 166 Sugar: 2 Sodium: 506 Fat: 11 Carbohydrates: 11 Fiber: 4 Protein: 6 Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: black bean hummus