High Protein + Low Sugar
Over the past few months, I’ve been trying to find ways to keep high-protein, low sugar snacks around my kitchen. For some reason, I always gravitate towards sweeter, high-protein foods.
These egg muffin cups are made up of grated sweet potato (similar to our sweet potato hash browns), cheddar cheese, and a little bit of garlic. I love the flavor the grated sweet potato gives these egg cups…so good! Plus you get a dose of complex carbs, fiber, vitamin a & c, and manganese.
Crack an egg on top, season with salt and pepper and bake ’em! It’s as easy as that. Then you have a high-protein and low sugar snack or breakfast ready for the entire week.
Per serving: 8g protein and 1g sugar
Tips and Tricks
Like I mentioned above, we tested this recipe many many times. At first, we were trying to go for a super crunchy base with the sweet potatoes…but the only way to do that is to deep fry them, which not only adds more fat calories to this recipe but also more time.
We settled on a softer hash bottom, which is just as delightful in flavor and takes way less time. Here’s how to get the most perfect sweet potato hash muffins!
Grate: All you have to do is grate the sweet potatoes and put them into a muffin tin.
Don’t press : There is no need to press the grated sweet potato down. Actually, we found that by not pressing the sweet potato mixture into the pan, the egg kept everything together better that way.
Spray: SPRAY SPRAY SPRAY your muffin tin. You could even use a muffin liner if you don’t want to worry about messing up your pan (try these reusable liners to save on paper use)!
Bake Time: The longer you bake your egg cups, the harder your yolk will be. If you like a runnier yolk, try baking for less time!
Storage: Store your baked eggs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Reheat: Reheat egg cups in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
Baked Eggs in Muffin Tin FAQ
How do you make baked eggs?
If you’re looking to make normal baked eggs, I have a super simple tutorial on how to bake eggs in the oven. Essentially you crack eggs into a muffin tin, season with salt and pepper, and bake to your liking!
How long do you cook an egg in the oven?
I recommend baking eggs in the oven for 13-15 minutes depending on how you like your yolk.
Are baked eggs healthy?
Yes! Baked eggs are a great source of protein, low carb, gluten-free, paleo, and Whole30-approved!
How do I bake sweet potato hash?
There are many ways to bake sweet potato hash, but I prefer to do this either on the stove top or in the oven. This recipe includes the oven variation, but if you’d like to eat sweet potato hash by itself, I suggest pan frying in olive oil for 5-10 minutes!
How do you make sweet potato hash browns?
Easy! All you need to do is use a cheese grater to grate a sweet potato. My favorite way to make sweet potato hash brows is with a little bit of cheddar cheese and garlic powder. Scroll down to see my recipe.
Other Egg Muffin Cups
- Breakfast Egg Cups – 4 Ways
- Bacon-Wrapped Egg Cups
- All-American Hash Brown Egg Cups
- Turkey Fajita Egg Cups
- Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Egg Cups
Sweet Potato Hash Egg Cups Video
Sweet Potato Hash Egg Muffin Cups
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 small sweet potato, grated (~1/2 cup grated)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 8 large eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a muffin tin with coconut oil cooking spray. Alternatively, place liners in the muffin tin so clean up is easy!
- Peel a medium sweet potato and use a cheese grater to grate potato.
- Place 1/2 cup grated sweet potato, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, and 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Using a tablespoon as your scooper, scoop one heaping tablespoon of sweet potato mixture on the bottom of 8 muffin tins.
- Crack a large egg on top of each cup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake eggs at 375ºF for 13-15 minutes or until eggs are at desired consistency.
- Reheat the next day in the microwave on high for 30-60 seconds.
- Serving Size: 1 egg cup
- Calories: 103
- Sugar: 1
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 8