This Vegetarian Creamy Cashew Curry is veggie packed and made creamy with a flavorful Thai cashew sauce. Plus, it’s vegan, dairy-free and boasts 11g of protein per serving.
Curry curry everywhere! If you’re in search of delicious and healthy curry recipes, don’t miss this creamy cashew curry or this sweet potato green curry quinoa casserole or even this one pot golden curry soup.
Creamy Curry without the Coconut Milk!
Welcome to the most creamy curry that doesn’t use coconut milk! The creamy sauce in with this curry combines pureed cashews with delicious curry spices. So creamy you won’t even be missing the coconut milk traditionally found in Thai curries.
How to Flash Boil Cashews
Flash boiling the cashews before making the sauce for this curry is the absolute key to its creamy deliciousness! And it’s easy to do: First, bring 2 cups of water to a rolling boil in a sauce pan, then add your raw cashews, and remove from the heat. Let the cashews soak for at least 30 minutes. If you have extra time, the longer you keep the cashews soaking (up to 24 hours at room temperature), the creamier your sauce will be.
Creamy Coconut Curry Ingredients
Carrots: Carrots are a hearty vegetable that pack in the beta-carotene, fiber and vitamin K. Oh, and they are pretty darn affordable, too!
Peas: Green peas are a great source of vegetable protein, and also pack vitamins A, B, and C!
Red Peppers: Not only do red peppers pack nearly 200% of your daily vitamin C, but they’re also a great source of vitamin B6 and folate.
Garbanzo Beans: Another veggie protein powerhouse! Plus, they add great flavor.
Onions: Not only do onions add an amazing savory flavor, but they’ve got fiber, folic acid, and vitamin B.
Thai Cashew Cream Sauce
And these powerhouse veggies pair incredibly nicely with the most delicious Thai cashew cream sauce that packs its own impressive list of healthy ingredients:
- Raw cashews
- Vegetable broth
- Lime juice
- Green curry paste
- Nutritional yeast
- Red chili sauce
- Fresh ground ginger
We served this creamy curry with white long grain rice, but it would also be absolutely delish with:
- Short grain white rice
- Short or long grain brown rice
- White quinoa
- Cauliflower rice
More Curry Recipes
- Crockpot Curry Chicken
- Red Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Curry
- One Pot Golden Curry Chicken Soup
- Thai Green Curry Chicken Salad
Creamy Cashew Curry
This Creamy Cashew Curry is veggie packed and made creamy with a flavorful Thai cashew sauce. Plus, it’s vegan, dairy-free and boasts 11g of protein per serving.
Thai Cashew Cream Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth*
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon red chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced into coins (1 heaping cup)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large red peppers, sliced
- 1 cup English peas
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- lime juice
- chopped cashews
- Thai basil
- Add 2 cups of water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of cashews to the water. Let cashews soak for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Next, place all ingredients for the cashew cream sauce into a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add onions and carrots to the pan and season with salt. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, red peppers, peas, and garbanzo beans to the pan and saute for another 4-5 minutes.
- Then, add curry sauce to the vegetables and mix until all vegetables are covered in sauce.*
- Bring curry sauce to a boil and then turn to simmer.
- Serve curry over white rice, quinoa, or on its own. Top with a squeeze a lime juice, chopped cashews, and Thai basil!
- *If the sauce is too thick add a tablespoon of broth to the pan at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
- Nutrition information only includes creamy cashew curry, and not rice.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 292
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 608
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 11