Pasta can be a healthy dinner packed with flavor and deliciousness. Substituting whole wheat pasta, adding vegetables, and creating a flavorful sauce is the key a healthy pasta for dinner. Treat yourself to this Whole Wheat Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pasta. It’s light, fresh, and only require a few simple ingredients!
Are you a pasta fan? We are too! Remember, pasta gets a bad rap sometimes and we are here to remind you that pasta can be healthy if you are mindful about what you’re adding to your pasta.
We love this vegan pasta bake with white wine sauce, creamy tomato basil vegan pasta, and 30-minute whole wheat pasta primavera with bacon because they are packed with veggies and made with whole ingredients!
I Love Pasta
There is something about pasta that soothes the soul. It’s satisfying, flavorful, and fun to eat. Growing up it was always a fight with my sister between penne and “stringy spaghetti.” I’m all about that stringy spaghetti.
Not much has changed, I am most definitely still a stringy spaghetti kind of girl. We’re talking angel hair, normal spaghetti, linguine, etc. Anything that can be twirled in a fork is my kind of spaghetti.
As of late, my body has been craving comfort food. I have to say that this is one of the best parts about my job…that I get to turn classic comfort food recipes into healthy, flavorful dishes that are actually good for you! SCORE.
Our Favorite Pasta Brands
I have only made homemade pasta a couple of times in my life. YES, it is ideal, but I just don’t have the time. Here are some of our favorite pasta brands right now!
Easy Pasta Sauce
This Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pasta is lightened up with whole wheat linguine and an olive oil-based sauce. The sauce. Oh, the sauce. It’s AMAZING —
- sun dried tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- almond milk
- salt and pepper
The almond milk may seem a little bit out of place, but it actually adds a bit of a creaminess to things which is great. It helps thin out the sauce and is a more flavorful alternative to water if you ask me 😀 Oh, and it keeps the recipe dairy-free which is a huge win for a lot of people out there.
Lastly, let’s talk sun dried tomatoes. If you love making your own sun dried tomatoes, more power to you! We usually have jar of sun dried tomatoes in our pantry at all time and they are always the ones soaking in olive oil!
So so soooo fabulous.
We served this whole wheat sun dried tomato basil pasta with fresh basil and a little bit more balsamic…because you can never have too much balsamic. For those of you cheese lovers out there- we went parmesan bay bay! Freshly grated is the way to go!
Add Some Protein
If you’re looking to up the protein in this dish you can add some tofu or chicken breast. Either would work AND you’d be able to get around 6 meals out of this bad boy instead of 4. Winning.
Healthy Pasta Recipes
- Creamy Vegan Pasta with Sauteed Kale and Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Creamy Greek Pasta Salad with Cashew Vegan Pesto
- 30 Minute Sausage Pizza Pasta
Whole Wheat Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pasta
For the sauce
- Cook linguine pasta according to the instructions on the box. Set aside.
- Next, place all ingredients for the sauce in a blender (I used a single serve blender). Blend well and set aside. If it seems a little bit thick, add a splash more almond milk or olive oil.
- In a large sauce pan, heat a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over medium/high heat and then add sliced onion. Sauté for a few minutes or until translucent.
- Add pasta and sauce into the saucepan and mix well. Then, add in fresh basil and chopped sun dried tomatoes. Mix again.
- Top with balsamic vinegar, fresh black pepper, and parmesan cheese (optional). Enjoy.