These muffins are dense, chocolatey, and 100% whole grain. The best part is- packed with superfood vitamins and minerals from hidden spinach that you can’t even taste!
I am totally going to be “that mom” that hides vegetables in my kids food. My mom did. And so will I!
As you know, my grand test for baked goods is always Blake’s reaction. His first question before he takes a bite is: Is it gluten free? My answer is always…I don’t knowwwwwwwww. Because chances are he is going to throw it down if I tell him it’s sans gluten. The man loves his gluten, okay?
He inhaled it, no problem and then asked me what was in it.
I laughed 😀 And said no gluten + spinach. His eyes lit up with fear. He bit into another one and started examining the innards to look for spinach leaves. Good thing I ground those bad boys up so you can’t see or taste them!
Food processor = my BFF.
I get a lot of questions about which food processor I use. Currently I am stuck with a small 4-cupper. This one to be exact. I like it because it’s the perfect size for banana soft-serve and 1 jar of nut butter. But sometimes I wish I had two, so that I could make soups, multiple jars of nut butters, and anything else in between. When I do- I want to go for something like THIS.
Bigger investment, bigger rewards 😀
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 egg, large
- 2 egg whites, large
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (I used full-fat vanilla)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place banana and Greek yogurt in a small food processor. Then process until smooth. Then, add in 2 giant handfuls of spinach and process again until smooth.
- Transfer into a large bowl and add the rest of the wet ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth. Next, add in dry ingredients and mix.
- Spray your cupcake tin with coconut oil cooking spray. Fill muffins about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 20 minutes or until the center is fully cooked.
If you want lighter muffins, you can add all-purpose flour to the mix, but I wanted to keep mine 100% whole-grained. I feel better about my day’s nutrition when I know my treats are made with whole ingredients.
I still can’t believe you can’t taste the spinach. Every baked good recipe should have hidden spinach in it!
Check out my other “sneaky” recipe…Sneaky Beet Brownies!