Love carrot cake? Yah, me too. Get you fix by making this Lightened-Up Carrot Cake made with 100% whole grains, maple syrup, and coconut oil! Oh, and freshly grated carrots.
So I’m trying to figure out what season carrot cake belongs in. Is it a winter cake? A summer cake? An Easter cake? The world may never know. I’m dubbing it an all year round cake. How do you feel about that?
Brooke let me shoot with her AMAZING camera (Canon XXX) for this recipe. Uhmmmmm I am totally thinking about upgrading and switching from Nikon to Canon. I’ve loved shooting with Nikon for the past 5 years, but the more I play around with Canon, the more I like it. I even like the noise it makes when a photo is taken better than Nikon. 🙂
What is a girl to do?
This is probably the easiest carrot cake you’ll ever make. I made it 3 times last week and it got easier every time. Girl’s gotta make sure it works before it goes on the blog. I’m not complaining…my fridge was fully stocked with the best cake in the world.
I get asked all the time if I like baking or cooking better. My answer? COOKING. I am not very meticulous when it comes to concocting things in the kitchen and with baking you kind of have to be. That’s a lot of work if you ask me. 🙂
Soooooooooooo much good stuff in one cake.
Plus- it has frosting. What kind of cake doesn’t have frosting?
Lightened Up Carrot Cake
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9
- 1 medium size bananas, mashed (~1 cup)
- 2 eggs, large
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the Carrot Cake Bars
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×9 inch pan with coconut oil cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together wet ingredients minus the coconut oil. In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Finely grate 2 to 3 carrots. Place on 2 pieces of paper towel and squeeze as much of the moisture out as possible. Save the juice and drink it! It’s good for you 🙂
- Add carrots in wet ingredients and mix. Then, add in dry ingredients and mix.
- Finally add in melted coconut oil and mix. Transfer batter into a 9×9 inch pan and into the oven.
- Bake at 350ºF for 35-40 minutes. Let cool for at least an hour before frosting.
For the Frosting
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Serving Size: 1/9
- Calories: 242
- Sugar: 18
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 38
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 7
Upcoming Holiday Travel
Guess who’s jetting off again? ME! Well, not really…I’m driving. I am off to Chicago today to spend Christmas with mi familia. I’ll be back and forth between Chicago and Milwaukee until after X-mas. Ohhhhh December, you’ve got me like, woh. Follow my Snapscapades —> FitFoodieFinds <— to see what I’m up to! It’s Fun Fact Friday…so you should probably do it ASAP.
If you are traveling for the holidays…BE SAFE and be jolly!