Learn how to make a healthy fruit pizza with a grain-free sugar cookie crust and a delicious lemony Greek yogurt filling — the perfect healthy treat for summer!
Is it summer yet? It feels like it at Fit Foodie HQ. Lin and I have been baking and mixing and cooking up a summer storm! We’re currently working on May recipes (NUTS RIGHT?!) for the blog, which gets me super excited for warm weather. Want to know what else excites me? MY NEW LENS! I finally purchased a macro lens for my camera and I couldn’t be more thrilled. A few months ago I upgraded the body of my camera to the Canon 5D Mark IV (LOVE) and decided I was going to wait a little bit to buy the EF 100mm f/2.8L. Well, I pulled the trigger last week and I’m in love (Sorry, Man Candy). For the past 6.5 years, I’ve only ever shot food with a 50mm f/1.4, so this macro is a treat. This fruit pizza is the very first recipe we shot with it <3
We decided to create a healthy spin a classic summer dessert and we don’t think you’ll be disappointed. The star of this fruit pizza is the sugar cookie crust made with almond flour and the greek yogurt filling is up for honorable mention. We have been LOVING lemon zest while developing recipes for summer. It give you a blast of flavor and you can’t beat the color it gives to everything you add it to.
Sugar Cookie Crust
First up is the sugar cookie crust. Yes, the crust of this fruit pizza will blow your mind. A couple helpful tips when you are mixing that dough–
- Once you have mixed the dry ingredients to your wet, you’re better off using your hands.
- Wet whatever utensils you are using to ensure that that cookie dough doesn’t stick
- A well greased pan will save your life.
- Making sure you separate the cookie crust from the edge of your pan because it will make removal of the crust after baking SO much easier (see below).
Greek Yogurt Filling
The filling for this fruit pizza is lightened up with Greek yogurt. We wanted to stay true to a traditional fruit pizza filling by incorporating a little bit of cream cheese, but make it a little bit healthier. Insert Greek yog! Feel free to change the proportions of the filling to fit your taste buds. However, don’t forget the lemon zest, because it is KEY.
We stuck with berries for our fruit pizza toppings, but you have the option to sub your favorite fruit for any of the berries we used! Be sure to slice the fruit length wise and pretty thin (it makes eating the pizza a lot easier). When all is said and done, this fruit pizza is delicious no matter what fruit you use!
It is a heck of a lot easier to eat it if you let it set in the fridge, but if you just can’t wait to eat a slice we don’t blame you. GO FOR IT. Cheers to a beautiful and sunshine-y upcoming summer!
How to Make a Healthy Fruit Pizza
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 1 egg, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/16 teaspoon (pinch) salt
For me the filling
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1.5 – 2 tablespoons honey (or more depending on how sweet you like it!)
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a 10-inch cast iron or round pan. Set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Dough will be thick, and it’s easier to mix and kneed the dough with your hands until combined (it helps to wet your hands with water to keep dough from sticking to your hands). Form into a ball.
- Place dough ball into your greased round pan and evenly flatten dough to the bottom of the pan.
- Take a greased spatula and carefully separate cookie dough from the edge of the pan to make removal easier after baking (see photo for example).
- Bake for 14-17 minutes.
- While crust is baking, place all ingredients for the filling into a blender or single serve smoothie cup and blend until smooth. It should be thick and creamy.
- Let crust cool and then remove from pan. Evenly spread filling over the top of the crust.
- Decorate fruit pizza with berries and garnish with lemon zest.
- Place in fridge and let set for 15-20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/12
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 110
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 18
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 7
PS: I am in Sarasota, FL today with Tropicana! Follow along on FFF’s Instagram Stories to see what I’m up to!