The key to perfect air fryer baked potatoes is coating them in olive oil and salt and pepper before air frying 400ºF for 30 minutes. They’ll end up crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
“First time making baked potato in the air fryer went well, thanks for the detailed recipe. This is now a staple in my home! 🙂” – Johan
You may or may not know this about me, but I am a baked potato queen. Potatoes have been my favorite food since I can remember and now that I started air frying them, my life is complete.
Air fryer baked potatoes have a special spot in my heart because they truly come out perfect every time. They’re so crispy and salty on the outside and the potato flesh comes out so fluffy and delicious.
What do you need for air fryer baked potatoes?
- Russet potatoes: our #1 tip when air frying potatoes is to make sure that your potatoes are around the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is used to help the salt and pepper stick.
- Salt and pepper: do not skip the s&p. I repeat, do not skip the salt and pepper. It truly makes these potatoes!
Best Potatoes for Air Frying
The best kind of potatoes for air fryer baked potatoes is russet potatoes. We love that russet potatoes have tougher skin so that when they’re baked, you can slice into them and they have a nice crispy skin. The flesh will end up soft and butter, it’s seriously delicious.
Other potatoes you can air fry include Idaho, fingerling, and red potatoes. Try our crispy air fryer potatoes using red potatoes.
- Classic: Butter, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Cheesy: cheese sauce, green onion, and paprika.
- Meaty: homemade chili recipe , shredded cheese, and chives.
Twice Baked Potatoes
Twice baked potatoes are the ultimate dinner idea. They’re made with perfectly crispy potato skins and the most delicious cheesy filling.
How long does it take a potato in the air fryer?
It takes around 30 to 45 minutes to bake a potato in the air fryer depending on the size.
Do you wrap potatoes in foil when using the air fryer?
We do not suggest wrapping potatoes in tin foil in the air fryer because it will prevent the potato skin from getting crispy.
Can you bake a potato in an air fryer?
Cook baked potatoes in air fryer at 400ºF for 30-45 minutes depending on how big your potatoes are.
Which potato is best for baking?
Russet potatoes are the best for baking.
Let potatoes cool completely and then transfer them into an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To reheat: you can reheat baked potatoes in many ways. If you’d like to use the air fryer again, we suggest air frying at 400ºF for 5 minutes, checking it, and continuing to cook until hot.
Baked Potato in Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF and spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray or drizzle with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a small bowl and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the russet potatoes. Use your hands to rub the oil into the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and garlic powder over the potatoes. Again, use your hands to rub the spices into the potato skin.
- Place the potatoes into the air fryer basket and cook for 30 minutes.
- Check the potatoes after 30 minutes. If the potatoes are fork-tender they are done. If the potatoes still have some resistance when you poke them with a fork, flip them over and cook them for another 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and enjoy them with your favorite potato toppings.
Tips & Notes
- How long the potatoes are in the air fryer depends on the size of the potatoes and how kind of air fryer you have. A medium russet potato should take around 30 minutes, additional time may be needed if the potatoes are bigger.
- If you want to add more flavor or spice to your potatoes, you can add more dried spices to the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- If your potatoes smoke in the air fryer, this is normal!