This apple smoothie recipe is an excellent healthy breakfast idea or snack. It’s made with frozen applesauce, almond milk, ground flaxseed, and your favorite nut butter.
We know not everyone likes the taste of banana and that’s why this apple smoothie is made without it. Enjoy every sip of this smoothie because it tastes exactly like apple pie!
Best Fall Smoothie Award
It’s true, we are smoothie people. From breakfast smoothies to green smoothies to peanut butter banana smoothies we love all the smoothies. If you like smoothies, then you must try this apple smoothie this fall!
I say this fall only because fall = apple season and the base of this recipe is actually made with frozen applesauce cubes in place of the ice or any other frozen fruit. It’s also made with other warm ingredients such as cinnamon, flaxseed, and nut butter.
Let’s jump back to the frozen applesauce for a second. We got the idea of freezing applesauce in place of frozen banana or ice and I feel like a genius.
so many uses for frozen applesauce
Not only can you use frozen applesauce in this apple smoothie, but it’s also a great way to allow your applesauce to stay chilled longer. You can even use them as an icepack in your lunch and then when it thaws, eat it for a snack.
The other ingredients in this smoothie are basic, yet packed with nutrition. Let’s check it out:
Flax: A little bit of flax goes a long way.
Nut Butter: You can use any nut butter your heart desires, but I recommend either cashew butter or almond butter because they’re flavor is milder than peanut.
: will not only add whole grains to this smoothie but give it great texture. Option to use either or quick-cooking.
Maple Syrup: This smoothie is delicious without the maple syrup, but I promise just a little maple syrup will enhance all of the delicious fall flavors of this apple smoothie recipe.
Cinnamon: Add a touch of cinnamon and I promise you this smoothie tastes exactly like apple pie! Feeling sassy? Apple pie or pumpkin pie spice instead!
Toppings for Apple Smoothies
How could I forget about toppings? No smoothie should go without a few toppings…because smoothies are best eaten with a spoon if you ask me!
- Apple cinnamon granola
- Nut butter
- Ground cinnamon
- 2 4-oz. apple sauce cups, frozen*
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any kind of milk)
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons nut butter (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- First, freeze 2 4-oz. applesauce cups for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once frozen, run the applesauce cups under hot water for a few seconds to remove from the plastic. Then place into a high-speed blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cover.
- Blend on high for around a minute or until smooth.
Tips & Notes
- frozen applesauce: if you are using homemade applesauce, we suggest freezing in an ice cube tray. One frozen, you can transfer the applesauce cubes into a freezer-safe glass container or gallon-size bag for later.
Keywords: apple smoothie