Perfect cornbread pancakes that are made gluten-free with a blend of cornmeal and all-purpose gluten-free flour!
You will love these cornbread pancakes as they’re slightly sweet and so yummy cooked in butter.
If you’ve made our cornmeal whole wheat pancakes then you will for sure love these cornbread pancakes! Instead of using a classic cornbread mix, we’re making these 100% homemade with simple cornbread inspired ingredients!
Why Make these?
When it comes to my Sunday pancakes it can get a little overwhelming because we have so many healthy pancake recipes on Fit Foodie Finds. I’m going to give you a few reasons why you should choose these!
- Gluten-Free! This recipe is 100% glutenfree, so if you’re trying to avoid wheat and gluten, these are perfect for you!
- Lower in Sugar & Fat Made with mostly applesauce and only 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, this is a great option for those looking for a pancake recipe lower in sugar and fat.
- Cornbread for Breakfast! Cornbread for breakfast? Need I say more?
Simple g/f Ingredients
As I mentioned earlier, we kept these pancakes gluten-free and the way we did this was by using an all-purpose gluten-free flour. In addition to these being gluten-free, they’re also a pretty balanced breakfast made with whole, healthy ingredients!
- all-purpose gluten-free flour
- baking powder
- almond milk
- maple syrup
- coconut oil
Don’t overmix the batter! One thing I’ve learned in my pancake career is to never overmix the batter! If you do this, you risk overbeating the eggs, which really help make your pancakes super fluffy!
How do you make pancakes super fluffy? In addition to not overbeating your batter, our secret is an extra teaspoon of baking soda. Up your pancakes to 2 teaspoons of baking soda and that should do the trick!
Flour substitutions: try swapping the gluten-free all-purpose flour for ground oat flour or even white whole wheat if you don’t need to keep this gluten-free!
Cheddar Chive: add a half cup of cheddar cheese and a few tablespoons of chives and you’ve got yourself a savory breakfast pancake!
Blueberry Banana: give your cornmeal pancakes a twist and add a mashed banana and 1/3 cup of fresh blueberries!
Cornbread Pancake Muffins: pour your pancake batter right into a muffin tin and you can make yourself pancake muffins!
More Gluten Free Pancakes
GlutenFree Cornbread Pancakes
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips optional
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- First, combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Next, whisk together eggs, applesauce, almond milk, and maple syrup in a large bowl.
- Then, slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix to combine making sure not to overmix.
- Finally, add melted coconut oil and mix one more time. Option to also add chocolate chips at this point.
- Heat butter or cooking spray in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Then, using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, spoon batter onto skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip. Cook for an additional 2- 3 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Serve with maple syrup!
Tips & Notes
- This recipe was slightly updated on November 24, 2019.
I made these without the chocolate chips. The only thing I would add is 1/4 tsp of Kosher salt. They were delicious! Hearty and filling. I do not have a gluten intolerance, but I have guests coming in a few weeks and one of them does . My search for gf pancakes led me here and I am so glad it did! I’ll be browsing your site for more recipes. Thanks!!!
These look absolutely delicious!! Can’t wait to try them, I might not add the chocolate chips though and just have the cornbread pancakes…topped with peanut butter!
Still a solid pancake 😀
These sound delicious – Thanks so much for posting! Do you have the nutritional information on this by chance? Calories, fat, carbs, sugars etc?
These look FANTASTIC!! I love the simple ingredient list…and I have to agree, cornbread + honey = pure HEAVEN! So jealous of your farm-fresh eggs! I haven’t been able to get to my farmers’ market in weeks so I’ve had to resort to the store-bought ones…which are SO not the same!
Those sounds really good!
I am on of those people that will eat an entire pan of corn bread because I think it is that good! I am going to have to try this recipe, it looks amazing!!
Great recipe and GORGEOUS photos, lady!
Gahhhhh! These look so damn good! I must try when I have more time to cook.. sat or sun morning! or maybe for dinner one night.
Yummm! These look so delicious! I am gluten free and haven’t had pancakes in so long!
I am pretty sure that my eyes just got super huge when I saw these pictures. These sound seriously amazing. They definitely have a sweet/savory thing going on, which I LOVE!
I’ve been wanting to make chocolate chip pancakes for a while! I’ll have to make them sunday morning for my family they’ll love it i’m sure! 🙂
GAHHH I LOVE CORNBREAD! And pancakes. and chocolate chips. Sign. Me. Up!
How about we expand this blog to include a tasting panel? Can I volunteer? You can just move in with me. Since you’ll be cooking. Every day. And I’ll be…. well… eating. Haha!
LOL. You are invited over ANY DAY Sarah…Seriously. Call me.
What a great idea! Maybe I will have to make these for breakfast next weekend for my friends birthday! 🙂 And I think you pancakes look great.. I feel like pancakes are suppose to have color. 🙂
Yes. They would be gorgeous with a big ol candle in the middle!
These look so good and I want to make them asap! I don’t have the cornbread mix- could you give me an idea of what’s in it. I think I could recreate it with cornmeal, flour, and whatever else is needed. Can’t wait to try these!
Here is the link with the ingredient list 🙂 http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free-cornbread-mix.html
I will repay you in…GLUTEN FREE GIGGLES
LOL only if I can share a room with Tornado!
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never make a good pancake but it tastes good! 🙂