Healthy banana muffins that will make your tastebuds dance! This banana muffin recipe is made with whole wheat flour, mashed banana, and a little bit of maple syrup.
If there is one muffin recipe that you make over and over again, it needs to be this one! Seriously, these healthy banana muffins are so yummy, perfectly sweetened, and only require 9 ingredients.
Why Make These Muffins?
Whole Ingredients: these delicious fluffy muffins are made with 9 total Ingredients. They’re lightened up with white whole wheat flour, maple syrup, and use only 2 tablespoons of oil.
Kid-Friendly: The kids are going to absolutely gobble these muffins up! They make for a great healthy breakfast idea or even mid-day snack.
Freezer-Friendly: One of the best things about these muffins is that they freeze well. So, if you need to stock up on a healthy snack/breakfast, these need to be your go-to!
How to Make Healthy Banana Muffins
Every good banana muffin recipe begins with ripe bananas and that’s just the truth! Bananas with a few brown spots are them are so much sweeter than green bananas and are perfect for banana muffins or banana bread, for that matter.
In addition to 2 medium ripe bananas, you need 8 more common ingredients for one batch of muffins.
- All-Purpose Flour
- While White Wheat Flour
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Soda
- Maple Syrup
- Almond Milk
- Coconut Oil
We have dozens of healthy muffin recipes on Fit Foodie Finds and guess what? They’re all pretty much variations of this very recipe.
Chocolate Chips: Add 1/2 cup of your favorite chocolate chips to this recipe for a sweeter, more dessert-like muffin! Or follow this Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe.
Banana Blueberry: Add a pint of fresh (or frozen!) blueberries to the batter before baking.
Banana Nut: Easily give these banana muffins a crunch with 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans.
Carrot Cake: Fancy things up a bit with 1/2 cup of shredded carrot and 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts to give these a carrot cake twist!
Can you freeze banana muffins?
Banana muffins are the perfect healthy snack to freeze. Let them cool completely and then place them on a baking sheet. Freeze for 2 hours before transferring into a freezer-safe, gallon-size bag. Remove as much air as possible and then seal. Freeze for up to 3 months.
How do you make these even healthier?
There are a few more swaps you can make to make these muffins even healthier!
Flour: This recipe calls for half all-purpose flour, but you can easily sub that 1:1 for more white whole wheat flour. The batter might get a little thick, so feel free to up the almond milk a little bit. It should be a little thinner than pancake batter.
Oil: While this recipe calls for only 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, you can likely just omit altogether.
Sugar: Try using coconut sugar 1:1 instead of brown sugar for a refined sugar-free option.
Can you make these vegan?
Since these muffins contain eggs, they are not considered vegan. We suggest following our Vegan Banana Bread recipe and making muffins with the batter instead of a loaf.
Try our banana bread recipes!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed (or coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed banana (~2 medium ripe bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, mash around 2 medium bananas (1 cup mashed) in a large bowl. Then, add in eggs, maple syrup, and almond milk and whisk.
- Add all of the dry ingredients and mix again.
- Finally, add melted coconut oil and mix one last time.
- Evenly spoon batter between 12 muffins in your tin, filling them about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake at 350ºF for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from muffin tin to continue cooling on a cooling rack.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1 muffin Calories: 151 Sugar: 15 Fat: 3 Carbohydrates: 27 Fiber: 2 Protein: 3
Keywords: healthy banana muffins