Try this strawberry coconut post workout smoothie after a tough sweat session for a delicious, refreshing way to get an extra boost of fiber and protein!
My Go-To Protein Smoothie
I go in smoothie phases. Anyone else? Pretty much it’s when I drink a smoothie a day for like 2 weeks straight and then I take a break. Then I do it again and REPEAT. This strawberry coconut protein smoothie has been my go-to lately. I almost always have a bag of frozen fruit in the fridge ready to use in smoothies because when in doubt.
I picked up a gorgeous bag of organic frozen strawberries from Lunds and Byerlys, which are a little bit more tart than normal strawberries. Yum yum yum! We blended them up with some coconut milk, a hint of honey, and protein powder. Here’s what else you need for this post workout smoothie.
- frozen strawberries
- coconut milk
- vanilla protein powder
- vanilla extract
- ground flax seed
Whey + Plant Based Protein Powders
Can we talk about protein powder for a second? I get this question all the time. I’ve been a Designer Protein fan for years and I use a variety of their products. My all-time time favorite is Designer Protein French Vanilla Whey (which is delicious in this recipe) and you can purchase it online here.
Whey protein powder is what I prefer in my smoothies because I love the flavor and silkiness of it, but I also like plant-based, as well! We actually just did a protein powder review and you’ll note that my favorite plant based protein powder is Garden of Life Raw Organic. It bakes really well, but also tastes great in smoothies!
Thick vs. Thin Smoothies
When it comes to smoothie consistency, it’s all about preference! You’ll see above that this coconut protein smoothie is super thick, but that’s just the way I like it. If you like your smoothies on the thinner side, feel free to add more coconut oil or any other liquid to your smoothie.
Smoothie Substitutions + Additions
Like any smoothie on Fit Foodie Finds, get creative and add what you have! Just because you don’t have coconut milk, doesn’t mean you can’t make this smoothie. You can totoally swap that out for another non-dairy milk. Check out some suggestions below.
- protein powder: don’t have protein powder? No problem! Either fully omit the protein powder or add another protein-filled ingredient such as peanut powder.
- flax seed: while we love ground flax seeds in smoothies, you can also try another ground seed such as chia to get the same health benefits.
- coconut milk: any other non-dairy milk such as soy or almond milk will work for this recipe!
- strawberries: swap strawberries for any other kind of berry such as raspberries or blueberries.
- honey: option to swap out the honey for maple syrup or agave or omit altogether.
- nut butter
- coconut oil
Protein Shake Recipes
Strawberry Coconut Protein Smoothie
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Option to add more coconut milk as desired.
Tips & Notes
- in order to keep this recipe vegan, use a plant-based protein powder.