Dessert is served in 7 minutes! Make this single-serve chocolate mug cake with an easy chocolate frosting for a delicious sweet treat today.
Chocolate Mug Cake Ingredients
First things first, it’s time to assemble your ingredients. Here’s what you need with a few modification suggestions:
- egg – we have not tried this recipe without eggs, but if you’re willing to give it a shot, you can use a flax egg.
- butter – option to sub melted coconut oil instead!
- white whole wheat flour – try using all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose four instead!
- baking powder – a little goes a long way for one serving.
- maple syrup – feel free to sub for equal parts honey or agave!
- coconut sugar – feel free to swap for another granulated sugar. We recommend brown sugar.
- milk – ANY milk will work for this recipe!
- mini chocolate chips – this recipe is still delish without chocolate chips, but why do that to yourself?!
- cocoa powder – don’t skip this! It gives this mug cake its delicious chocolate-y flavor.
How to Make A Chocolate Mug Cake
This mug cake is ready to enjoy in SEVEN minutes! That’s right, you’ll be enjoying dessert before you know it. We’ll walk you through it:
Prep your Mug
First, spray a medium or large mug with cooking spray and set aside. A small bowl will also work!
Add all of the ingredients for the mug cake into the mug and whisk until combined.
Microwave or Bake
Microwave your mug cake on high for 60 to 90 seconds or until fully cooked OR bake in the Oven at 350ºF for 22-24 minutes or until fully cooked in the middle.
Pro tip: you’ll know your mug cake is fully cooked when you can stick a toothpick in the center of the cake and it comes out clean.
While your mug cake is cooking, prepare the chocolate frosting. Add the following ingredients to the bowl and mix until combined.
- nut butter
- cocoa powder
- maple syrup
Pro tip: If it is too thick, add a little melted coconut oil to thin things out.
Frost and Enjoy!
Remove the mug cake from the microwave or oven and spread the frosting over the top of the mug cake. Enjoy!
Mug Cake Qs, Answered!
Can you make more than one mug cake at a time?
Absolutely! If you’re baking your mug cakes in the oven, feel free to fill as many mugs or small bowls as your little heart desires.
If you’re making your mug cake in the microwave, we recommend microwaving them one at a time.
Can you add other ingredients to this mug cake?
We recommend keeping the ingredients for the cake itself (unless you’re making any of the substitutions outlined above!), but feel free to get crazy with toppings like:
- sliced bananas
- fresh berries
- whipped cream
How long does a mug cake last?
We recommend making this mug cake right when you’re going to enjoy it. And with the incredibly short cook time, that’s definitely doable! If you have leftover mug cakes, refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
More Mug Cakes
More Healthy Desserts
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil or melted butter
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon drippy nut butter
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- First, spray a medium/large mug or small bowl with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients for the mug cake into the mug and whisk until combined.
- Microwave on high for 60 to 90 seconds or until fully cooked OR Bake in the Oven at 350ºF for 22-24 minutes or until fully cooked in the middle.
- While the mug cake is cooking, prepare the chocolate frosting. Add the nut butter, cocoa powder, and maple syrup to the bowl and mix until combined. If it is too thick, add a little melted coconut oil to thin things out.
- Remove the mug cake from the microwave/oven and spread the frosting over the top of the mug cake. Enjoy!
Tips & Notes
*This recipe was updated on April 28, 2020. HERE is the original coconut flour chocolate mug cake recipe.
*Nutrition does not include optional chocolate frosting.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1 Calories: 295 Sugar: 15 Sodium: 208 Fat: 16 Carbohydrates: 30 Fiber: 5 Protein: 10
Keywords: chocolate mug cake