With just a few simple ingredients and a casserole dish you can have a dinner packed with veggies, protein, and whole grains, in just 60 minutes!
One of the first meals I ever learned to cook as a kid was stir fry. You see…take out Chinese food was (still is) my ultimate dinner after soccer practice when my parents were too tired to cook. The people at New China in New Berlin, WI knew my mom and me by name. No shame. New China is who inspired me to make my own stir fry at home…because that’s what most 10 year olds do, right? Sure. Years later I still find myself craving stir fry like it was just yesterday. It’s such an easy meal to whip up and to make for the masses. It’s one of our Sunday family dinner staples that my siblings and I make.
So, what’s better than stir fry on a crazy week night? A stir fry casserole! Right when you thought dinner couldn’t get any easier than homemade orange chicken, I came up with an orange chicken casserole recipe. You literally throw everything into your casserole dish 100% uncooked and pop it in the oven. It doesn’t get much easier than this, people. Freals.
This recipe calls for truRoots’ Germinated Brown Rice and it’s absolutely perfect. Whenever we get take out or eat at an Asian restaurant, I always order the brown rice if they have it. I just prefer the texture over all other rices and love the added nutrients you get from brown rice! This germinated brown rice will cook perfectly in 60 minutes and pairs very nicely orange chicken and broccoli! Let’s take a look at what cha need!
- chicken breast
- brown rice
- homemade orange chicken sauce
^^The sauce is rather simple to make. It’s made up of mostly orange juice, chicken broth, and tamari with a few other household ingredients thrown in there. For best results- don’t forget the orange zest!
Linley and I tested this casserole with corn starch and it’s just not needed. We found that the sauce thickened up great on its own and it just wasn’t necessary.
Skinny Orange Chicken Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
For the Casserole
- 15 oz. chicken breast (~2 large)
- 1.5 cups truRoots Organic Germinated Brown Rice
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups broccoli, chunked
For the Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray your casserole dish with coconut oil cooking spray (be generous!).
- Next, prep veggies by dicing yellow onion and chopping broccoli into chunks. Sprinkle veggies in to casserole dish.
- Prep chicken breast by cutting it into small pieces and then placing on top of the vegetables.
- Add truRoots Germinated Brown Rice into the casserole dish and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together all ingredients for the sauce.
- Add sauce mixture to the casserole dish and use a large spoon to mix all ingredients together, making sure everything is (mostly) covered.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Then, remove and stir. It will still be a little soupy, but don’t worry this is how it’s suppose to be! Place back in oven for 30 minutes, covered.
- When casserole is done, take out and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
If you are using normal or short grain brown rice, please cook everything BUT the chicken and broccoli for 30 minutes, covered. Then, add the chicken and broccoli and continue to cook as directed. If the rice is still crunchy when you take it out, cook for an additional 15-30 minutes. Don’t forget to let it sit on your stove top for 15 minutes, as well!
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 421
- Sugar: 21
- Sodium: 243
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 67
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 27
Refrigerator: Store in an air tight container, such as a glass pyrex, for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Freezer: If you plan to freeze, we suggest baking this in a disposable/aluminum casserole dish. Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of cooked, cooled casserole and press out all of the air. Then, wrap the entire casserole in tin foil and place in the freezer. Write the name and date of casserole on the tin foil. To reheat, take the frozen casserole out of the freezer and let thaw in the fridge over night. Either reheat single servings of the casserole in the microwave, or reheat the entire thing in the oven..
Looking for a specific truRoots product? Use their product finder feature on truRoots.com!
Casserole Week 2016 is in partnership with truRoots. I was compensated and all opinions are my own. Thank you so much for supporting Fit Foodie Finds and making this website (and my job!) possible! Don’t forget to check out day 1 and day 2.