Turn on that grill and prepare this grilled teriyaki chicken for dinner tonight! People always wonder how to make chicken teriyaki that tastes like their favorite take-out recipe and we have figured it out! This healthy grilled teriyaki chicken recipe is a healthier version of your favorite take-out and makes a perfect chicken meal prep meal for the week. Make it today!
We Love Chicken Recipes!
Give us any cut of chicken and we’ll make a meal out of it. People come to hang out on Fit Foodie Finds for healthy recipes that taste good. A good chunk of those people are specifically looking for healthy chicken recipes. WE’RE LOOKING AT YOU! You’ve come to the right place, here are some of our favs!
I guess what I’m trying to say is that we know how to prepare chicken here and the options are endless. This time of year we get extra excited because we can prepare our favorite chicken recipes on the grill! This grilled teriyaki chicken recipe is one of our favorites because it couples one of our favorite flavors with our favorite method- GRILLING!
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken
Who knew that making homemade teriyaki chicken could be so easy? This grilled teriyaki chicken recipe is ready in under an hour and you won’t be disappointed. It has all of the tang and sweetness that you would find at your favorite take-out joint without the extra added sodium! Which brings us to the most commonly asked question about teriyaki chicken- Is chicken teriyaki healthy?
Like we always say, everything in moderation. The beauty of making your favorite take-out meals at home is knowing exactly what is in your food. Teriyaki chicken is no different! Your grilled teriyaki chicken can be as healthy as you want it to be.
It’s all about the sauce
We use our Homemade Teriyaki Sauce for this recipe and it is simple, naturally sweetened, and you have the option of using soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos. The key is making teriyaki chicken that works for you!
Now, let us chat about how to make teriyaki chicken on the grill!
First things, first. Marinate your chicken breasts. With any chicken recipe you make, marinating the chicken first elevates the flavor tenfold. You can stick the chicken and the marinade in a bowl or a large plastic bag.
All you have to do is prepare our homemade teriyaki sauce, place it in a stasher bag with the chicken breasts, and let them marinate for at least 30 minutes.
During this step, we would also prepare the foil pack veggies that are a part of this recipe! Prep the onions and peppers by chopping and placing them in a foil pack and place them on the grill with the chicken breasts.
Grill that Chicken Teriyaki + Veggies
Don’t be scared of the grill, my friends! Preheat the grill to 425ºF and get ready. Grilling chicken breasts can be easy if you monitor the internal temperature of the chicken. A good old fashion meat thermometer will do the trick, however, we have been loving the Weber iGrill 2. Which let’s use leave a metal thermometer in your meat at all times and then connects your Bluetooth. IT IS SO GREAT.
No matter how you monitor the temperature of the chicken, the internal temperature of the chicken should be about 165ºF (which usually takes about 7-10 minutes per side). Remove chicken from the grill and let the breasts sit for a couple of minutes.
Pick a Healthy Side + Meal Prep
After the grilled teriyaki chicken is ready to eat serve it with the foil veggies and your favorite healthy sides! Here are some of our favorite healthy sides to serve with this teriyaki chicken:
Serve your grilled chicken Teriyaki immediately or meal prep the chicken teriyaki in our favorite meal prep containers for a healthy lunch that is all ready to go for the week!
Healthy Chicken Meal Prep Recipes
- Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Bowls
- Instant Pot Moroccan Chicken Bowls
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- 1/2 cup homemade teriyaki sauce
- 1.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
Foil Pack Peppers and Onions
- 2 medium bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- First, prepare homemade teriyaki sauce, by following THIS recipe.
- Next, place 1 lb. of chicken breast into a gallon-size plastic bag or large stasher bag. Then, pour on teriyaki marinade and let sit in the fridge for 30-minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to 425ºF.
- Prepare foil pack peppers and onions by slicing your bell peppers and onion into large bite-sized pieces.
- Place veggies on a large piece of tin foil and then drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle on minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Toss.
- Place one more piece of til foil on top of veggies and then fold the sides together to create your foil pack.
- Place foil pack veggies and chicken breasts directly on the flame of your grill. Set the remaining teriyaki sauce aside.
- Grill chicken at 425ºF for 7-10 minutes on each side or until the chicken reaches 165ºF on the inside.
- When you remove your chicken, check your veggies. Cook until desired texture has been reached.
- To thicken remaining teriyaki sauce, pour sauce into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and whisk until dissolved and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve chicken and veggies with your choice of grain and more sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition information is for JUST the chicken.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 286 Sugar: 7 Fat: 11 Carbohydrates: 15 Fiber: 1 Protein: 34
Keywords: Grilled Teriyaki Chicken