This refreshing watermelon salad recipe is made with feta cheese, sliced cucumbers, fresh basil, mint, and a few pine nuts for a bite.
Juicy Watermelon Salad
Is there a better summer salad than watermelon feta salad? I think not. The taste of this salad is so refreshing with the combination of sweet, savory, and crunchy.
I’m envisioning a big side of this served at a bbq or picnic and everyone going back for seconds because it’s just that good.
Why you’ll love it!
- Easy to prepare
What is in watermelon salad?
This classic watermelon salad is made with fresh ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- seedless watermelon – make sure to use a fresh, juicy watermelon. Then, slice it into bite-sized cubes.
- cucumbers: cucumbers add a veggie and crunch.
- red onion – a little bit of red onion goes a long way!
- fresh herbs: whatever you do, do not forget the fresh basil leave and fresh mint leaves!
- feta cheese: feta cheese adds a nice saltiness to this recipe, plus a decent amount of protein!
- pine nuts: toasted pine nuts for a little crunch.
Every salad deserves a dressing! Here’s what you need for our simple vinaigrette:
- red wine vinegar
- lemon juice
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black epper
The most common ingredients in watermelon salad are diced watermelon, feta cheese and mint.
Ingredeints that go well with watermelon include fresh herbs, onion, and feata cheese.
Cheese and watermelon is an excellent combination. The most common combo is watermelon and feta cheese.
Add another fruit: add in another fruit such as blueberries, peaches, or apples.
Add another veggie: add another veggie such as diced tomato or avocado chunks.
Swap lemon for lime: instead of using lemon juice, try using lime juice!
Add a green: adding something like arugula would take this up a notch!
Complete your summer BBQ with any of the following!
- 1 small seedless watermelon cut into 1-inch cubes (roughly 4 cups)
- 2 cups thinly sliced English cucumbers ~3 english cucumbers
- ¼ small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt separated
- 1 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup feta crumbles
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated pepper
- ¼ cup raw pine nuts
- Add the watermelon cubes, cucumbers, and red onion to a large salad bowl and gently toss the ingredients together.
- In a separate small bowl, add the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt and whisk the ingredients together. Drizzle the dressing over the watermelon, cucumbers, and red onion. Toss again.
- Add the basil, mint, and feta crumbles to the salad and season with the remaining salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add the pine nuts to the skillet. Toast the pine nuts for 3-4 minutes until golden brown, being sure to toss them while they toast.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts over the salad and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- This salad was made with a small, seedless watermelon. You can buy a larger watermelon and use half of it as well.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.