This grilled salmon in foil needs to be the star of your next summer bbq. This grilled salmon is infused with an herby butter making it ultra-tender and flakey!
You will Love this Grilled Salmon!
We are back with another amazing grilled salmon recipe that is so easy to make and infused with tons of light and fresh flavors! We’ve got another basic grilled salmon recipe that’s ready in 8 minutes, but this one is a little different!
This salmon is made in a foil-pack and there are so many reasons why I love this method.
- Infused with flavor: first and foremost, a foil-pack helps the salmon really infuse with flavor. Our recipe uses butter and fresh herbs.
- Flakey and tender: the foil-pack helps steam the salmon making it extra tender and flakey.
- Dinner in under 30: From start to finish, you can have this foil wrapped salmon ready to go in less than 30 minutes.
- Low carb and high protein: This salmon clocks in at just 1g carbohydrate and 22g protein!
How to Grill Salmon in Foil
This grilled salmon foil recipe is ready in under 30 minutes. You just can’t beat that for any meal. If you are looking for healthy, delicious, and fresh recipes to serve your family, start with this one right here.
Step 1: Prep Salmon
Remove your salmon filets from the packaging and use two pieces of paper towel to remove as much moisture from the filets as possible.
Then, prep the herby butter topping. The flavor for the grilled salmon recipe comes from this glorious butter. It’s simple. All you have to do is mix cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper into softened butter and you’re golden.
Step 2: Create Foil Pack
After that, it’s all about the foil pack. Place the salmon on a piece of heavy-duty foil and then fold all 4 sides in and seal. Just be sure there is no way for heat or liquid to escape.
Why foil pack? creating a foil pack is the best way to steam your salmon on the grill. It traps all of the flavors and heat to evenly cook the salmon!
Step 3: Grill
Now it’s time to grill your salmon! Preheat grill to 400ºF. Once fully heated, place salmon directly over the flame on your grill and let cook for 8-10 minutes.
We recommend checking your salmon after 8 minutes. The goal is to have your salmon be lighter in color, firmer, and flakey! Not done? Seal her back up and keep cooking.
Tips and Tricks
What temperature should I grill salmon at? Preheat your grill to 400ºF to grill salmon.
How long do you cook salmon on the grill? Salmon cooks fairly quickly compared to other meats that you are used to grilling. Depending on how you like your salmon, cook salmon in foil for 8-10 minutes.
What temperature should grilled salmon be? The internal temperature of the salmon should be 145ºF. Something to keep in mind is that the salmon will continue to cook for a few minutes after you remove it from the grill! Leave the foil pack on the grill if you like your salmon well done!
How long to grill salmon in foil: grilled salmon in foil only takes 8 to 10 minutes to fully cook to an internal temperature of 145ºF.
Can I cook grilled salmon in the oven? Yes, you can prepare grilled salmon in the oven instead of the grill. Just set the oven to 400ºF and follow the same directions in the recipe card!
A Perfect Pairing: Pineapple Salsa
Take this recipe up a notch with a delicious pineapple salsa topper to add more flavor and nutrients to your meal! Here’s what you need:
- chili powder
- red onion
- cherry tomatoes
- apple cider vinegar
- lime juice
We suggest grilling your pineapple for extra flavor, but you have the option to skip that step altogether! Mix everything together and serve it with your salmon!
More Recipe Pairings
Foil Pack Recipes
- Foil Pack Grilled Red Potatoes
- Baked Potatoes in Foil
- Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- Foil Pack Peach Crumble
- Sous Vide Salmon
- Lemon Dill Salmon Burgers
- Baked Lemon Pepper Salmon
- How to Grill Salmon (with no foil!)
Watch how to make this recipe!
Grilled Salmon in Foil
- 2/3 lb. salmon (2 fillets)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (~1/2 lime)
- 1 small pineapple, cored and cut into strips (~2 cups chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Grilled Salmon in Foil
- Preheat grill to 400ºF. Spray a large piece of tin foil with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare salmon filets by patting dry with a paper towel and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Then, mix together softened butter, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread the butter mixture on top of the salmon filets and transfer them onto the tin foil. Then, squeeze on lime juice.
- Create a foil pack by folding the top half of the tin foil over the salmon and pinching the sides together. Make sure there are no holes where air can escape.
- Grill salmon at 400ºF for 8-10 minutes* or until fully cooked and flakey.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together onion, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, jalapeño, apple cider vinegar, and lime juice. Place in the refrigerator for later.
- Prepare pineapple by coring and slicing into strips. Season with 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder and about 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
- Grill pineapple at 400ºF over direct heat for 12-15 minutes, rotating every 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool, and then cut into small chunks.
- Add pineapple to the rest of the salsa ingredients and mix well.
Serve salmon with grilled pineapple salsa and grain of choice (we chose quinoa!).
Tips & Notes
- Oven: option to also bake the salmon in the oven. Follow the steps in making your foil pack and then bake at 400ºF for 7-10 minutes, or until flakey.
- Cook time varies based on the size and thickness of the salmon filets.
- Nutrition information is just for the salmon.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/2 Calories: 273 Sugar: 0 Fat: 20 Carbohydrates: 1 Fiber: 0 Protein: 22
Keywords: grilled salmon in foil