Make these clean eating crock-pot chicken taco bowls at the beginning of the week to meal prep for the days to come! This recipe is gluten and preservative free!
I LOVE MEAL PREP.
I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT.
For as many recipes that I make for FFF each week, many of them are not “meal status.” While sometimes I eat a brownies for lunch, often times I crave something much heartier and more meal-like. That’s why this recipe actually rocks…because there’s actually 3 recipes in 1. First you’ve got the chicken, then the sweet potatoes, and then the rice n’ beans.
How gorgeous are these purple sweet potatoes? Thank you Whole Foods! The second I saw them I knew I had to stock up on them. Why? For the photo….duh! Davida and I always laugh because we do some strange stuff….”for the photo.” If you run a food (or any) kind of blog, I think you can relate.
What’s great about these flavor roasted sweet potatoes, is that this recipe would actually work for the vegans and vegetarians out there these guys as your main. I’d stock up on the toppings to make sure you get enough protein in there, though!
Roasted sweet potatoes….I made them twice last week.
So along with your shredded chicken and sweet potatoes, I also put together a limey black beans + brown rice side. It’s sort of a sister recipe to my Copy Cat Chipotle Cilantro Brown Rice.
In case you are wondering…I used short-grain brown rice. It’s my jam…and has a WAY better texture than long-grain. The next time you are at the grocery store, pick some up and try it! I promise you’ll never go back to long-grain.
Toppings for this bowl included:
- gluten-free corn tortilla chips
- avocado slices
- fresh lime juice
You could also add in some Greek yogurt/sour cream, guacamole, salsa, etc!
- 6 large chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste + ¼ cup water
- juice from ½ lime
- salt and pepper to taste (generous)
- 3 large sweet potatoes (or ~5 medium-size)
- 2-3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups short grain brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
- juice from 1.5 limes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Place 6 large chicken breasts and 2 tablespoons of minced garlic in a large crock pot and set to high. Cook for 3.5 to 4 hours, or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Remove chicken breasts from crock pot and use two forks to shred it. Place shredded chicken back in crock pot (leave the liquid that is in there). Then, season with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mix together tomato paste and water and place on top of chicken. Mix.
- First, preheat oven to 400ºF. Then, dice sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and pour on about 2-3 tablespoons of EVOO. Place sweet potato pieces on baking sheet. Then, season, and toss with your hands. Roast at 400ºF for 25-30 minutes or until desired texture.
- Place 2 cups of brown rice and 4 cups of water in a medium-size pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to low and cover. Let simmer until all of the water has absorbed. Once the rice has cooked, add in black beans, lime juice, and sea salt.
If you are feeling lazy or don’t have all the taco spices for the chicken, feel free to use an all-natural taco spice pack that has as many real ingredients as possible. I know some of those packs have some preservatives in them, but I’ve also seen some really great brands!