Make Ahead Bean Burritos that only require 6 ingredients! These are the perfect grab-and-go meal when you’re in a pinch…especially if you’re vegetarian!
Vegetarian Grab & Go
There is seriously nothing worse than having “nothing to eat in your kitchen.” This happens to me at least 3 times a week and then I end up order Door Dash or popping over to Chipotle.
Door Dash no more! Keep your freezer stocked with this incredible bean and cheese burrito recipe. Al you have to do is unwrap them and reheat them in either the microwave or oven, which makes them a great option to take to work!
Why make these little pockets of heaven?
Pantry Staples: one of the main reasons these burritos are so great is because they are made with mostly pantry staple ingredients. That means, you likely have all of these ingredients on hand already!
Vegetarian: we know the Fit Foodie community loves a good vegetarian meal and here you go! Hoping for a 100% plant-based meal? Swap the dairy cheese out for a dairy-free cheese!
Fiber & Protein: 16g of both fiber and protein are packed into a single burrito! Holy Hannah that’s incredible for a vegetarian meal.
Meal Prep: this recipe can be easily doubled or tripled to make 16 or 24 burritos. That’s 16 or 24 meals!!
Tortillas: we’re recommending a large 12-inch flour tortilla for this recipe. We know there are lots of corn tortilla lovers out there, but unfortunately, they don’t wrap as nicely as flour!
Rice: brown rice is our go-to for burritos and you can use long-grain, short-grain, or even minute brown rice. Heck, get sassy and try our cilantro lime rice!
Refried Beans: any kind of refried peans work for this recipe, but we love refried pinto beans!
Black Beans: make sure to drain and rinse your black beans. Don’t have black beans? Any kind of beans work!
Cheese: any kind of shredded cheese works for this recipe. If you’re hoping to make these bean burritos vegan, we suggest a dairy-free cheese option or omitting all-together.
Salsa: salsa adds a lot of flavor without a lot of work. Add your favorite salsa and control the heat with mild, medium, or spicy options!
- Fajita veggies: peppers and onions are a great way to get more veg into each burrito!
- Roasted Sweet Potato: add a little more “meat” to your cheese and bean burritos with some roasted sweet potato!
- Switch up your beans: any kind of bean works for this recipe! Try chili beans, kidney, or northern white.
- Cilantro lime rice: swap your brown rice for a homemade cilantro lime rice!
- Taco seasoning: add more flavor with a sprinkle of taco seasoning on top of each burrito!
How to Cook Your Burritos
Once you’ve made your bean burritos, you can either wrap them in tin foil and freeze them immediately or eat them (or at least a few of them!). Here’s how we suggest cooking your burritos if you don’t want to freeze them:
Oven: Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and bake burritos at 400ºF for around 20 minutes or until center is completely warm.
Pro tip: add more cheese and salsa to the top 😀
Pan Fry: In a large frying pan, heat around 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium/high heat. When the olive oil is fragrant, fry the burrito with the tortilla flap-side down for 2-3 minutes and then flip and fry the other side for 2-3 minutes.
^^this is our preferred method because it gives your burritos a nice, delicious crunch.
How to Reheat Freezer Burritos
From Frozen in Microwave:
- Unwrap the frozen burrito and discard the aluminum foil. Place the frozen burrito on a microwave-safe plate and place in the microwave.
- Cook the burrito for 1 minute and 15 seconds on high, flip the burrito, and then cook for an additional 1 minute and 15 seconds on high or until fully cooked.
From Frozen in Oven:
- First, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place burrito(s) in the oven leaving it wrapped in tin foil and bake the burrito for 50-55 minutes or until fully cooked.
For Extra Crunch:
- After burrito is cooked in the microwave or oven, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- When olive oil is fragrant, place the burrito flap side down in the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the burrito starts to brown. Flip and repeat for 2 more minutes.
More Freezer Burritos
Bean and Cheese Burrito Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice*
- 2 cups water
- 8 12-inch flour tortillas*
- 1 15-oz. can refried beans
- 1 15-oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Begin by making your brown rice. If you are using precooked brown rice, please disregard this step. Place brown rice and water in a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer for around 35 to 40 minutes or until water is fully absorbed.
- While the brown rice is cooking, prepare the rest of your burrito. Lay tortillas on a clean, flat surface.
- Using a tablespoon as your scooper, spoon on around 3 tablespoons of refried beans onto each tortilla and spread it out.
- Then, spoon on 3 tablespoons of black beans, 3 tablespoons of cheddar cheese, and around 3 tablespoons of cooked brown rice to each tortilla.
- Finally spoon on a heaping tablespoon of your favorite salsa (or more to taste).
- Tightly wrap each burrito by folding 2 sides in and rolling it up. At this point, decide whether you are going to eat them immediately or freeze for later.
To Eat Right Away
- Oven: Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and bake burritos at 400ºF for around 20 minutes or until center is completely warm.
- Pan Fry: In a large frying pan, heat around 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium/high heat. When the olive oil is fragrant, fry the burrito with the tortilla flap-side down for 2-3 minutes and then flip and fry the other side for 2-3 minutes.
To Freeze for Later
- Tightly wrap each burrito with tinfoil and remove as much air as possible. Freeze burritos for up to 3 months.
- Reheat in oven: Place tin foil-wrapped burrito in the oven and bake at 400ºF for X minutes or until the center is warm.
- Reheat in microwave: Unwrap burrito, discard tin foil, and place on a microwave-safe plate. Use the defrost setting on your microwave and defrost for around 2 minutes. Then microwave on high for 30-60 seconds.
Tips & Notes
- Brown rice: option to use pre-cooked brown rice. In that case, use around 1.5 cups cooked.
- Tortillas: This will make 6-8 burritos depending on how packed you like them!