Love banana bread? You’re going to love our almond butter banana bread muffins! These healthy muffins are made with 100% whole grains, 2 ripe bananas, coconut oil, and all-natural sugar from coconut sugar!
Happy Friday, friends! We’re so glad you stopped by Fit Foodie Finds to scoop up this epic banana bread muffin recipe. Since some of you may be new to FFF, I thought I’d let you know that we love taking classic recipes and making them a little bit healthier. For example, banana bread is typically made with canola oil, white flour, and white/brown sugar…but we swapped those ingredients out with coconut oil, white whole wheat flour, and coconut sugar. Don’t worry, we didn’t sacrifice the flavor with these swaps…it still tastes like the real deal!
So, clearly, we’re huge fans of banana bread and can’t wait for you to try this specific recipe. The almond butter makes them super moist and a little nutty, which is just the way I like my nanner bread! Of, how could I forget? I also prefer my loaf and muffin recipes to be fluffy as can be! These healthy banana bread muffins will puff up to be delicious, dense muffins that are a perfect snack or breakfast for any time of year.
Healthy Banana Bread Muffin Ingredients
Good news for you is that these easy banana bread muffins don’t call for too many ingredients. And, it’s likely that you have all of these staples at home! Check it out–
- almond butter
- almond milk
- coconut oil
- white whole wheat flour
- coconut sugar
I’d like to talk about substitutions for a second! We get a lot of questions about ingredients substitutions and I thought I’d give some pointers.
- white whole wheat flour: If you’re hoping to sub another flour other than white whole wheat, I wouldn’t suggest subbing anything other than normal whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour or a gluten-free flour blend. Flours such as coconut flour or almond flour are not a good substitution for white whole wheat flour because those are nut based, grain-based!
- Coconut oil: If you’re hoping to sub something else for the coconut oil, you can try canola oil! OR you can even try omitting. Since there is a lot of mashed banana in this recipe, that might work too (however we haven’t tested it),
- Eggs: If you want to make this recipe vegan, we have not tested this with flax eggs, but that is what I would do if I wanted to swap the eggs for something else!
- Coconut sugar: The only thing I’ve found to work close to a 1:1 sub with coconut sugar, is brown sugar! Again, I haven’t tested that…but if I were to use any other sugar in this recipe…brown sugar is what I would use!
I know that a lot of you are HUGE banana bread fans because both our Coconut Oil Banana Bread recipe and Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe are fan favorites. I mean, made weekly by you guys! So? If you’re looking to turn this moist banana bread muffin recipe into a loaf…here’s how you do it!
How to Turn These Muffins into a Loaf
- Step 1: Preheat oven at 350ºF and make the batter exactly like you would for these muffins. Option to add chocolate chips if you want to get wild :D
- Step 2: Spray a bread pan with nonstick cooking spray. Then, pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Step 3: Bake at 350ºF for about 40-50 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- Step 4: Let cool for about 15 minutes before removing from loaf pan. Let cool completely before slicing.
If you’re looking for more healthy muffins, you can use our recipe index to search via season and/or diet or make any of our favorites below!
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
- Oil-Free Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Super Fluffy Blueberry Muffins
- Whole-Grain Carrot Cake Muffins
Almond Butter Banana Bread Muffins
Love banana bread? You’re going to love our almond butter banana bread muffins! These healthy muffins are made with 100% whole grains, 2 ripe bananas, coconut milk, and all-natural sugar from coconut sugar!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Total Time: 36 minutes
- 1/2 cup all-natural almond butter, drippy
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large ripe bananas (~1 cup mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with muffin liners OR spray with coconut oil cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients minus the melted coconut oil. Then transfer dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Finally, add in melted coconut oil and give the batter a final mix.
- Transfer batter into muffin tin, filling each muffin about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake muffins at 350ºF for 16-18 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 196
- Sugar: 12
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 5