Get the most moist chocolate pumpkin muffins without using any oil at all! These muffins are 100% whole wheat, refined sugar free, and the perfect afternoon snack. A twist on the traditional pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and they’ve never been more delicious.
Welcome back, pumpkin season! We missed you oh so much. As soon as the air starts to feel cooler in the evenings in Minneapolis, I instantly want to bake all the pumpkin recipes. And these beautiful chocolate pumpkin muffins have already become a fall staple in our kitchen. They’re a twist on traditional pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and I have to say, they are the perfect combination of chocolate and pumpkin.
What’s also great about these chocolate pumpkin muffins is that they’re made with absolutely NO oil. The pumpkin itself has so much moisture in it, so you really don’t miss the oil at all. We also added in some applesauce, which has the same effect as pumpkin, but adds a little bit more sweetness. And don’t forget about the chocolate chips and sea salt to top off your muffins before popping them in the oven. Definitely an optional step, but we really think it completes these moist and fluffy muffins.
Pumpkin Baking Pantry Staples
We love to have these staples on hand when baking with pumpkin because so many pumpkin recipes call for less than one can of pumpkin puree, and it allows us to use the rest up instead of throwing it away.
- Canned pumpkin puree
- Chocolate chips
- Maple syrup
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Rolled oats
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Whole wheat flour
- White whole wheat flour
Other Fit Foodie Finds Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups
- Single Serve Healthy Pumpkin Mug Cake with Chocolate Pumpkin Frosting
- Pumpkin Yogurt Dip
- Pumpkin Pie Slow Cooker Oatmeal
- Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes
- Healthy Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding
- 4 Ingredient Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Easy Pumpkin Marinara with Zoodles
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Breakfast Cake
- Grain-Free Pumpkin Brownies
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Waffles
- 10 Healthy Pumpkin Recipes You Need to Try this Fall
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple maple syrup
- 2 egg, large
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Spray with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk. Place wet ingredients in a medium size bowl and whisk. Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk until combined.
- Fill muffins about 3/4 of the way full. Then, sprinkle on a few more chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350ºF for 18-20 minutes or until you do the toothpick test and it comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy!
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition facts are when using whole-wheat flour