Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – the loaf recipe that keeps on giving. If you love classic banana bread, then this healthy chocolate chocolate chip banana bread recipe is going to knock your socks off!
To all of the carb-loving ladies out there, get ready because this chocolate chocolate chip banana bread recipe is LIFE. I have a soft spot in my heart for banana bread because my mom made it weekly growing up…and always a double batch.
It was always a race to grab the first slice between my siblings and me. We have a healthier version of my mom’s recipe on Fit Foodie Finds called Coconut Oil Roasted Banana Bread, where we actually roasted the bananas to make them a little bit sweeter. SO GOOD.
Today we’re sharing a spin-off of our healthy banana bread, but with the addition of both chocolate and chocolate chips. Double the chocolate, yasss. What I love about this particular recipe is that it uses mostly mashed banana for the sweetener with a little bit of brown sugar. If you want, you can even sub the brown sugar for coconut sugar to make it 100% unrefined. Let’s start with the wet ingredients…
- eggs – we haven’t tried this recipe, eggless, but you can always try to sub 2 flax eggs!
- mashed banana – the riper the better when it comes to bananas and banana bread!
- almond milk – I love the nutty flavor of almond milk, but feel free to use any kind of milk.
- vanilla – we used 2 whole teaspoons in this recipe and I absolutely adore the flavor it adds.
- coconut oil – coconut oil is a great sub for vegetable oil, but you can always swap if you don’t have any coconut oil on hand!
Coconut Oil Tip!
I want to make a note about coconut oil and baking. We almost ALWAYS add the melted coconut oil last once all ingredients (wet and dry) have been mixed together. We do this because when you melt coconut oil and mix it with other cold ingredients, it will firm up and create lumps of hard coconut. This is why we have had the most success with adding the melted coconut oil to the batter last.
Once you’ve got all of your wet ingredients mixed together this delicious chocolate chocolate chip banana bread, it’s time to mix together the dry and then combine them together. Here’s what else you need:
- white whole wheat: this is our absolute favorite flour to make any kind of bread loaf with. We haven’t tested this recipe specifically with anything else, but I’m sure you could sub normal whole wheat, white flour, or even a gluten-free flour blend!
- brown sugar: A little bit of brown sugar goes a long way! Classic banana bread calls for brown sugar and that’s why we kept it in this recipe. If you’re looking for a substitution, I’d use coconut sugar or another granular sugar!
- cocoa powder: since this is CHOCOLATE chocolate chip banana bread, the cocoa powder is essential! Make sure you look for cocoa powder that is unsweetened for the best results.
- chocolate chips: Don’t skimp on the chocolate chips…is a rule when making banana bread. Just trust me.
Now that you’ve got your batter made (and the coconut oil whisked in), it’s time to transfer into a bread pan! We used a standard loaf pan, but if you don’t have one, you can absolutely try baking in a 9-x9-inch cake pan or even turning it into muffins! Just make sure you watch your baking time.
Here are some other helpful tips in making the perfect loaf of chocolate chocolate chip banana bread!
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Tips
- The bananas matter! The riper the banana, the sweeter! They are also easier to mash. One thing we’ve learned is that if you don’t mash your bananas enough, they will sink to the bottom, so just keep that in mind!
- The pan you use matters, too! There is no wrong answer, but if you use a metal loaf pan, it distributes the heat more evenly, where there is more of a chance of uneven cooking in a ceramic pan.
- Add the coconut oil last! I know I mentioned this once before, but it’s the best tip I ever received. Make sure that you add the coconut oil last so that it doesn’t firm up when it mixes with the other cold, wet ingredients.
And there you have it my friends, an easy, wholesome chocolate chocolate chip banana bread recipe that is PERFECT for an afterschool snack, a mid-morning treat, or breakfast any day!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (+ chips for the top of bread)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 medium bananas, mashed (~1.25 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a bread pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mash 3 bananas with a fork. Then, mix in the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet. Fold chocolate chips into the batter and mix again.
- Pour batter into greased bread pan, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top, and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove banana bread from oven, let cool for 10 minutes, and remove from pan to finish cooling.
Tips & Notes
- If the batter is unusually thick, add a little bit more almond milk. Thick batter can be due to the bananas you used!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 327 Sugar: 28 Sodium: 228 Fat: 14 Carbohydrates: 49 Fiber: 7 Protein: 7
Keywords: chocolate chip banana bread