Make a double batch of these Healthy Chocolate Muffins and store some in the freezer for easy access to healthy muffins.
These chocolate muffins are naturally sweetened, made with white whole wheat flour, and are so moist and delicious!
Best Chocolate Muffins
These healthy chocolate muffins are one of our favorite muffins on FFF! They are made with whole ingredients, naturally sweetened with bananas, maple syrup, and coconut sugar.
We love whipping up a batch of muffins and sticking half of them in the freezer for later and keeping half out for snacking.
These healthy chocolate muffins are:
- Naturally sweetened with maple syrup and banana.
- Made with 100% whole grain flour.
- Easy to freeze.
How are these healthy chocolate muffins?
At Fit Foodie Finds, we like our muffins chock full of the good stuff! We’re talking whole grains, healthy fats, and natural sweeteners. Here’s how these are healthier than normal muffins:
- 100% whole grain
- Naturally sweetened
- Made with coconut oil
Favorite Baking Tools
One thing that will make baking a bit easier for anyone is having the right tools to bake! Below are some of the tools that we use every time we make these chocolate banana muffins and any other healthy muffin recipe on Fit Foodie Finds!
- Different size mixing bowls. We love these nesting bowls from Target because we can have a bowl for dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Our most favorite part of these bowls is that they are dishwasher safe!
- Hearty Muffin Tins. Get a sturdy muffin tin that doesn’t pop in the oven! We like using a nonstick muffin tin!
- Muffin tin liners. There is nothing worse than a dirty muffin tin that you can’t get clean! If you don’t have a nonstick muffin tin, get these reusable silicone muffin liners!
- Cooling Rack. A cooling rack allows your muffins to cool completely without sticking to the muffin tin or your counter!
How to Make Healthy Chocolate Muffins
Baking muffins is a very relaxing and therapeutic activity for me! I love baking days by myself or a baking day with friends. You just can’t beat it.
Sometimes baking can be a scary thing for people because of all of the science. We try to make baking accessible for everyone and I want to assure you that these healthy chocolate muffins are a great recipe to help you reboot your relationship with baking.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: first, combine all dry ingredeints in a medium bowl.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: mash your bananas in a large bowl and then add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix.
- Combine both: combine dry and wet ingredients and then add melted coconut oil. Mix again.
- Transfer: line your muffin tray with muffin liners and then fill each one up 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake: bake at 350ºF for 18-22 minutes.
- Cool: let muffins cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Let muffins cool completely and then store in a cool, dark place for up to 3 days. Or, store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
How to Freeze Muffins
- Let your muffins cool competely.
- Next, transfer muffins onto a baking sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours. Then, transferr muffins into a gallon-size bag and remove as much air as possible. Seal tightly.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (+ more for topping)
- 1 cup mashed banana*
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with muffin liners. We suggest also spraying your muffin liners with cooking spray just in case.
- Next, place dry ingredients into a medium bowl and mix.
- Then, in a small bowl, mash 1 large banana. Measure it and add 1 cup to a large bowl.
- Crack 2 eggs into the large bowl and whisk with mashed banana. Add maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and then mix. Then, add in melted coconut oil and mix again.
- Fill each muffin about 3/4 of the way full (these are going to be big muffins) and sprinkle on a few more chocolate chips. Then, place in the oven at 350ºF and bake for 18-22 minutes or until the center is fully cooked.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then remove from the muffin tin to continue cooling.
Tips & Notes
- *If you don’t like bananas, feel free to use another fruit puree such as applesauce or pumpkin.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1 Calories: 203 Sugar: 15 Fat: 8 Carbohydrates: 31 Fiber: 4 Protein: 4
Keywords: healthy chocolate muffins