Make yourself a loaf of healthy zucchini bread made with 100% whole grains and no butter! This zucchini bread is perfect for an easy breakfast or an easy snack in the afternoon!
The BEST Healthy Zucchini Bread
We are big fans of always having a loaf of this zucchini bread on the counter in the summer and spring. It is a great quick snack or a delicious easy breakfast for the whole family!
And? For those of you with a garden or a CSA you probably have some extra zucchini laying around!
Zucchini Bread Ingredients
In this zucchini bread recipe, I really wanted to focus on using as many whole ingredients as possible. Let’s check out the lineup.
- White Whole Wheat Flour
- Coconut Oil
- Mashed Banana (or applesauce)
- Coconut Sugar
- Almond Milk
- Maple Syrup
Most Commonly Asked Zucchini Bread Qs
Do you use the skin in zucchini bread?
Yes, we do leave the skin on zucchini for zucchini bread. It adds great color, nutrition, and it’s a lot less hearty of skin compared to other vegetables! If you’re not a fan of zucchini skin, feel free to leave it off!
How do you grate zucchini for zucchini bread?
To grate zucchinis for zucchini bread, use the largest grate on a box grater, food processor, or your grater of choice.
Do you squeeze water out of zucchini for bread?
Yes, you want to remove the moisture from zucchini! You do this by grating the zucchini and then placing it in a tea towel or paper towel. From there you squeeze the moisture from the zucchini into the sink.
How to Freeze Zucchini
Freezing zucchini is as easy as 1-2-3. If you have a plethora of zucchini from the garden or if zucchini is on sale at the grocery store freeze it for later!
- All you have to do is wash the zucchini and shred it with a cheese grater. What grate you use depends on what you’d like to use it for. I use the smallest grate for zucchini bread. Grate the zucchini into a bowl.
- Next, place zucchini in the middle of a tea towel or an in-between double ply paper towel and squeeze the water out of the zucchini.
- Finally, place zucchini in a freezer safe container or bag. Label the container with the date and place in the freezer and leave the zucchini in the freezer for between 3-6 months.
When you are ready to use the zucchini, remove from the freezer, let it thaw, and repeat the process of squeezing access water out of the zucchini. Just like that your zucchini is ready for this healthy zucchini bread!
Can I freeze this zucchini bread?
Yes, you can freeze this zucchini bread. To freeze zucchini bread, let the loaf cool completely before wrapping it up in a freezer safe bag, plastic wrap, or container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini, moisture removed* (~1 large zucchini)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup mashed banana (or applesauce)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, place dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix to combine. Then, add in all of the wet ingredients minus the coconut oil and mix to combine. Add melted coconut oil and mix again.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Place a tin foil tent over the zucchini bread and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the bread is done (stick a toothpick in the bread and if the toothpick comes out clean, it’s done.).
- Let cool for 15 minutes before removing from the loaf tin to continue cooling.
Tips & Notes
- Coarsely grated zucchini– use a coarse grate cheese grater to grate your zucchini. Keep the skin on and grate zucchini. Next, place grated zucchini in the middle of a tea towel or cheesecloth and ring out as much moisture as possible. Then, measure 1 cup.
- This recipe was updated on September 9, 2020.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 244 Sugar: 26 Fat: 5 Carbohydrates: 45 Fiber: 4 Protein: 5
Keywords: zucchini bread recipe