Our no-fail zucchini bread recipe takes you back to the basics with grated zucchini, flour, butter, brown sugar, and eggs.
The BEST Healthy Zucchini Bread
Everyone should have a solid zucchini bread recipe in their back pocket and that’s just the truth. We’re here to give you one in hopes that you make this recipe year after year.
Our recipe is made with basic ingredients and has a hint of warmth from a little maple syrup. It’s also made with applesauce to make it extra moist!
Need Breakfast Inspo?
Subscribe to our emails and get all of our best breakfast recipes straight to your inbox.
Zucchini Bread Ingredients
This zucchini bread recipe is about as basic as it gets. No fancy ingredients, just things you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Almond milk
Do you use the skin in zucchini bread?
Yes, we do leave the skin on zucchini for zucchini bread. It adds great color, nutrition, and it’s a lot less hearty of skin compared to other vegetables! If you’re not a fan of zucchini skin, feel free to leave it off!
How do you grate zucchini for zucchini bread?
To grate zucchinis for zucchini bread, use the largest grate on a box grater, food processor, or your grater of choice.
Do you squeeze water out of zucchini for bread?
Make sure to remove the moisture from zucchini! You do this by grating the zucchini and then placing it in a tea towel or paper towel. From there you squeeze the moisture from the zucchini into the sink.
Add peanut butter: peanut butter makes the world go round and that’s a fact. Try adding 1/3 cup to your batter!
Use mashed banana: swap the applesauce out for mashed banana. It will change the flavor slightly but works in the same way.
Use a different squash: got summer squash in the garden instead? Try that instead of zucchini!
Add chocolate chips: you really can’t go wrong by adding a handful of chocolate chips!
Make sure to let the zucchini bread cool completely before storing it in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. If you cover it when it’s warm, the condensation will speed up the molding process!
How to Freeze Zucchini Bread
- To freeze zucchini bread, let the loaf cool completely.
- Then, tightly wrap it in a piece of plastic wrap followed by tin foil.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Zucchini Bread Recipe
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (or oat milk)*
- First, preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to a bowl and whisk the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, add the brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup to the mixing bowl and mix on medium/high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the applesauce and eggs and mix again until combined.
- Next, add the almond milk and mix.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients (including the zucchini) to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the lined loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Rotate the loaf pan to 180º and bake for another 20-30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out almost clean (it will continue to cook in the pan).
- Let cool for a few minutes before running the edges along the outside of the bread and pan (if needed) and gently pull up on the parchment paper. Transfer the bread to a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- 1 cup of mashed ripe banana can be used as a substitute for the applesauce.
- For a crunchy top, top the zucchini bread with 2-4 tablespoons of turbinado sugar before baking.
- The bake time may vary depending on what oven is used and the elevation you are baking at.
- This recipe was updated on June 23, 2023. Get the original recipe HERE.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.