The Perfect Salad for a BBQ
I love a good BBQ. Getting together with friends and family and spending time outside is my perfect summer night. Whether we are hosting a bbq with grilled chicken, grilled ribs, or burgers, my favorite part of a bbq is always deciding on the bbq sides!
We know a thing or two when it comes to bbq sides. People love our Thai chili corn salad and our foil pack grilled red potatoes because they are easy to make and very tasty. This creamy cucumber salad is our newest bbq side salad and we are pretty excited about it.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
I am sure you have had a cucumber salad that is doused in mayonnaise and white sugar. If you’re at a Wisconsin salad bar at a fish fry, go for that delicious mayonnaise salad and enjoy the heck out of it! However, if you are looking for a healthy salad to eat throughout the week that is a great addition to any dish, go with this creamy cucumber salad!
This cucumber salad is a bright and flavorful salad that I is the perfect salad to make at the beginning of the week. It goes well with BBQ chicken, on tacos, or even on the side of scrambled eggs! It’s versatile, delicious, and made with nutritious ingredients!
Cucumber Salad Ingredients
Let’s chat about the amazing ingredients in this creamy cucumber salad!
- Cucumber If you’re looking for a vegetable with a satisfying crunch that is also hydrating, a cucumber is for you! Cucumbers are a great veggie to add to any pasta salad, buffalo chicken salad, or even in infused water!
- Red Onion The red onion is a polarizing vegetable. Some people love it and some people hate it. We are huge fans of red onion here on Fit Foodie Finds because it adds so much flavor and crunch to any recipe. Red Onions are high in sulfur compounds and are packed with vitamin B.
- Greek Yogurt We substituted classic mayonnaise for Greek yogurt in this creamy cucumber salad, not only because Greek yogurt is packed with protein, but it gives this creamy cucumber salad a delicious tartness!
- Apple Cider Vinegar Apple cider vinegar is known for aiding in weight loss, lowering cholesterol, and more. However, we love the tang that it gives salads and other dishes! It gives a great bit to this creamy cucumber salad!
- Lemon Juice A little citrus goes a long way when it comes to salads! We love using lemon juice in place of salt because it can brighten up any dish!
- Honey Naturally sweetening dressings is one of our favorite things to do! Forget the white sugar and use honey. When there is a bit of tartness in some recipes, it’s nice to cut that with a little sweet!
- Dill Does any herb scream summer more than dill? I want to pot a huge pot of dill this summer and will be glorious! Did you know that dill is a forever plant? Which means it will take over your garden and reseed itself if you let it? So, when you plant dill, make sure it is in a pot or it’s own garden bed! Other than being a forever plant, fresh dill makes every salad it’s in taste fresh and delicious!
- Garlic The more garlic the better. Not only does garlic add amazing flavor to any dish, but it is also known for its medicinal properties. Garlic is said to promote respiratory problems and digestion!
Healthy Salad Recipes
Healthy Creamy Cucumber Salad
If you are looking for a healthy side salad for your next BBQ or a healthy salad for meal prep, look no further! This creamy cucumber salad is simple, flavorful, and delicious.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced (8 cups sliced)
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced (1 cup sliced red onions)
- 1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- First, begin by making your creamy cucumber sauce. Place Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, garlic powder, and pepper into a medium bowl or Pyrex and mix.
- Then, mince about 2 tablespoons of fresh dill and add to the mixture and mix. Set aside.
- Thinly slice 2 medium cucumbers and slice 1/2 large red onion. Add to a large bowl.
- Pour dressing on top of veggies and mix until everything is fully coated.
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 30
- Sugar: 3
- Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 3