Grilled buffalo chicken salad is such a fun summer meal idea. It’s made with grilled marinated buffalo chicken breast, romaine lettuce, tons of veggies, and a creamy dressing.
Seriously Good Grilled Buffalo Chicken Salad
Why make this salad?
High-protein: per serving this grilled buffalo chicken salad packs in 44g protein.
Veggie-packed: looking to get more veggies in? This is the salad for you!
So many flavors: if you’re a buffalo chicken fan, you will love this grilled buffalo chicken salad recipe.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Marinade
This buffalo chicken marinade is not only perfect for grilling chicken breast, but also baking, or pan frying. Here’s what you need:
- Butter- we used unsalted butter.
- Frank’s hot sauce- Frank’s is hands down the best vinegar-based hot sauce to use for buffalo.
- Maple syrup- we’re huge fans of adding a dash of maple syrup to anything buffalo because it really helps cut the heat.
- Salt and pepper- a little salt and pepper for good measure.
How Long to Marinate Buffalo Chicken
We recommend marinating your chicken breast in the buffalo chicken marinade or around 20-30 minutes.
How to Grill Buffalo Chicken
Once you’ve marinated your chicken, time to grill it. We have such a great called “how to grill chicken breast” that is a very detailed tutorial. Here is a brief overview of how to grill your chicken:
- Preheat grill to 400ºF – 4250ºF.
- Grill chicken for 7-8 minutes.
- Flip chicken and grill for an additional 7-8 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Grilled Buffalo Salad Ingredients
Now that your chicken is grilled and ready to go, it’s time to talk all things salad!
- Grilled buffalo chicken: you can either eat your grilled buffalo chicken hot off the grill or chilled.
- Romaine lettuce: romaine is the base of this salad, but you can use any kind of green you want.
- Cucumber: cucumbers add a nice crunch and volume.
- Cherry tomatoes: cherry tomatoes are our favorite, but any kind of diced tomato works.
- Apple: apple adds a nice balance of sweetness to this grilled buffalo chicken salad.
- Red onion: a little onion goes a long way.
- Greek yogurt blue cheese dressing: we love topping this salad with our homemade blue cheese dressing, but you can also use store-bought.
Not a huge fan of blue cheese dressing? Here are a few of our favorite Fit Foodie Finds homemade creamy dressings that would be delicious on this salad.
Homemade Healthy Ranch: It’s hard to find ranch dressing without a long list of ingredients. This recipe will show you how to make Healthy Homemade Ranch Dressing with a clean ingredient list, so you’ll never have to go to the grocery store for dressing again!
Green Goddess Dressing: You need to make this Creamy Green Goddess Dressing recipe made with a Greek yogurt base, tons of fresh herbs, anti-inflammatory spices, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing: You have choices when it comes to salad dressing and this avocado cilantro lime dressing has a short ingredient list of fresh and whole ingredients. You can use it on fresh green salads, pasta salads, and you can use it as a veggie dip, too.
For the Buffalo Chicken
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 medium breasts)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced into half-moons
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 4–6 heaping cups of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing (any store-bought is fine)
- First, preheat the grill to 400ºF – 425ºF.
- Then, prepare the buffalo chicken marinade by melting 3 tablespoons of butter. Then, mix in hot sauce and maple syrup.
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and then place the chicken in a gallon-size bag. Pour the marinade on top and remove as much air from the bag as possible and seal. Let marinate in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Once the grill has preheated. Spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Grill chicken for around 7-8 minutes over direct heat on each side. Coating it with any excess marinade before you flip.
- Once the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF and has nice grill marks, remove it from the grill. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Make your salad by placing sliced chicken and all of your veggies on top of a bed of romaine lettuce. Then, drizzle on blue cheese dressing and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 384 Sugar: 10 Fat: 16 Carbohydrates: 15 Fiber: 3 Protein: 44
Keywords: grilled buffalo chicken salad, bufalo chicken salad