Say hello to the perfect salad! This farro salad is an amazing vegetarian option for lunch or dinner. The bite of the farro, the delicious vegetables, and the protein from the beans make this a super healthy salad option!
Looking for other amazing salad recipes? Check out all of our favorite healthy salads and make them for meal prep over the next few weeks!
What Makes a Perfect Salad?
When it comes to salad making, there are so many different directions you can go. We have salads on Fit Foodie Finds that don’t even have any lettuce like these chicken salad recipes. We have broccoli salad recipes, egg salad recipes, and all of these delicious kale recipes!
The perfect salad is a salad that is packed with veggies, protein, and (maybe the most important) it encourages you to eat healthy! We don’t discriminate against any salad!
Personally, this farro salad is the perfect salad to me! I love salads that have a mixture of textures, flavors, and temperatures. I love when there is a combination of greens, grains, veggies, nuts, and cheese!
Ingredients You’ll Need
We crafted this salad so that there was a little bit of every ingredient in every bite! Let’s break down all of the ingredients!
The star of this recipe is the farro! Farro is packed with fiber, protein, and other nutrients! It is a great addition to any salad because it also has an amazing texture.
- Farro does take a little bit of time to cook, so be sure to start the farro first, before preparing the rest of this salad!
- If you don’t have farro, don’t worry! You can substitute the farro with wheat berries, quinoa, or even short grain brown rice!
Micro greens are delicious greens that are packed with a lot of flavor! We used radish micro greens so they have a bite to them! Feel free to use whatever micro greens are your favorite.
- A great substitution for micro greens are ANY green! Arugula, spinach, or even massaged kale would work!
The asparagus in this recipe adds an amazing crunch and flavor to the salad! We use blanched asparagus so it is cold, crunchy, and delicious!
- Scroll down to learn how to blanch asparagus!
If you want to add peppery flavor and crunch to any salad, radishes are a great option! They are packed with nutrients and give your salad amazing color!
One of the healthiest vegetables on the market is a red onion! Red onions are packed with nutrients and give salads amazing flavor.
- Don’t like raw onion? Feel free to use green onion or caramelize onions before adding them to the salad!
Every salad needs a seed or a nut! Sunflower seeds seemed like the perfectly bite sized crunch for this salad.
- If you don’t have sunflower seeds you could use sesame seeds, slivered almonds, or any nut!
The sweetness of the dried cranberries give this salad a balanced palette. Don’t forget them!
- Any dried fruit will work in this salad! Raisins, dried apricot, or even dried cherries would also be delicious.
- Are your dried cranberries a little dried out? Soak them in water for about 15 minutes and watch them plump right up!
Goat cheese is a tangy and magnificent soft cheese that is perfect when it is crumbled in salad! It’s also lovely when a little bit of the goat cheese melts and gives this salad a creamy texture!
- Not a fan of goat cheese? Feta or shaved parmesan would also be delicious in this salad!
This recipe is vegetarian, but we wanted to add even more protein by adding in white beans! Just be sure to rinse the beans if you buy canned beans!
We use our bright lemon vinaigrette in this recipe! It brightens up this salad so much. And? It is a healthy dressing that takes only minutes to prepare!
How do you blanch asparagus?
Why blanch asparagus? It helps the asparagus keep its crunch for longer and it brings out the flavor of the asparagus. Trust me, you won’t regret blanching!
Step 1: Prepare your ice water bath FIRST. This is important, you will need the ice bath ready immediately after boiling.
Step 2: Bring a large pot of salt water to a rolling boil.
Step 3: Chop your asparagus into bite-sized pieces while you are waiting for the water to boil.
Step 4: Once the water is boiling, carefully add the asparagus to the boiling water. Let the asparagus cook for no more than two minutes.
Step 5: Using a slotted spoon, scoop the asparagus from the pot, let the hot water drain off the asparagus, and then place the asparagus in the ice water bath.
Step 6: Let the asparagus sit in the ice water bath for around 10 minutes, strain the asparagus from the water, and then add it to the salad!
It’s easy peasy!
Meal Prep this Salad
This is one of the best meal prep salad recipes on FFF! Here are a few things to remember if you are going to meal prep this farro salad for the week.
If you are meal prepping the salad, wait to add the micro greens and the dressing until right before you plan to eat it! This will prevent the salad from becoming mushy.
This salad will last for up to 5 days in the refrigerator! Just be sure to store it in an air tight meal prep container!
Healthy Salad Recipes
- 1.5 cups farro, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb asparagus, chopped
- 4 cups microgreens
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cups radishes, sliced
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 15-oz can white beans
- 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup lemon vinaigrette
- Begin by adding the farro and water to a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Then, cover and turn heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes until farro is al dente.
- When farro is al dente remove from heat and strain water and let farro cool.
- Prepare the asparagus by first making an ice bath in a large bowl. Add about two cups of ice to the bowl and cover in water. Set aside.
- Next, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add chopped asparagus to the pot and let the asparagus cook for two minutes (no longer than two minutes!).
- Remove the asparagus with a slotted spoon and immediately place the asparagus into the ice bath. This will keep the asparagus perfectly crispy for the salad.
- Next, add the cooked farro, asparagus, and the rest of the salad ingredients to the bowl and mix well. Toss with lemon vinaigrette dressing. Serve immediately!*
Tips & Notes
*If meal prepping this recipe, do not add the microgreens to the salad. Add them right before serving so they do not get mushy.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 451 Sugar: 12 Fat: 15 Carbohydrates: 63 Fiber: 11 Protein: 17
Keywords: Farro salad