These Instant Pot Burrito Bowls with chicken are the perfect weeknight dinner! Protein and flavor-packed, and ready to enjoy in under 30 minutes.
Dinner in Under 30 Minutes
If you’ve been cooking with us for a while, you know how much we love Instant Pot recipes, and these Instant Pot burrito bowls are no exception. There’s nothing better than a one-pot meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes, now is there?!
Burrito Bowl Lovers
And if you’re a big fan of ordering burrito bowls at Mexican restaurants like we are, you are in luck because this is a homemade, EASY version of just that! All the nummy burrito bowl flavors jam-packed into one recipe that’s made completely in the Instant Pot.
Best part is, you just mix everything together, throw it in your Instant Pot, and GOOOO.
Instant Pot Burrito Bowls — What You Need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Diced red bell pepper
- Diced green bell pepper
- Diced white onion
- Long grain rice
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Canned green chiles
- Canned black beans
- Taco seasoning (we used our recipe!)
- Minced garlic
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Greek yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Fresh lime juice
How to Make Instant Pot Burrito Bowls
For the full recipe, scroll down to the recipe card for a list of ingredients and instructions.
First, toss the chicken chunks with one tablespoon of taco seasoning in a bowl, and set aside.
Add one tablespoon of olive oil to the Instant Pot and turn on the sauté feature.
When the olive oil is fragrant, add the chicken to the pot and brown the chicken for 2-3 minutes, and then remove the chicken from the pot. The chicken will only be partially cooked, but will cook the rest of the way later.
diy taco seasoning
Ditch the store-bought taco seasoning for this super flavorful clean ingredient taco seasoning. Made with the following ingredients that you likely have in your spice cupboard already:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Coarse sea salt
- Red pepper flakes
- Ground black pepper
- Ground oregano
- Smoked paprika
Get the full homemade taco seasoning HERE.
Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot, and then add the red and green peppers. Let them sauté for 3-4 minutes, making sure to stir every minute or so. Then, remove from the pot and set aside.
Sauté Onions & Garlic
Next, add the last tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and then add the onion and garlic to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring periodically.
Now it’s time to pour the rice into the pot with the onion, and toast the rice for 2 minutes. You’ll love the flavor this gives the rice!
Time to Pressure Cook
Finally, add the chicken back to the pot along with the diced tomatoes, green chiles, 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, salt, and chicken broth to the pot and mix.
Cover the Instant Pot, and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
Quick release pressure from the Instant Pot.
Add Peppers + Black Beans
Uncover the Instant Pot and add the bell peppers and black beans to the pot, stir, and place the cover back on the Instant Pot and let the peppers and black beans warm in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes.
Stir & Serve
Remove the cover, stir, and serve burrito bowls with cheese, Greek yogurt, cheese, or any of your other favorite burrito bowl toppings. ENJOY!
Do you have some burrito bowl lovers in your house, and some who would prefer to wrap this deliciousness right up into a tortilla to make a proper burrito?! We got you.
This Instant Pot burrito bowl recipe is 100% amazing served in a bowl, but can be jazzed up and wrapped in a tortilla as well.
Need some inspiration for other vessels to get these burrito bowls right into your tummy? Look no further:
- Wrapped in a tortilla
- With tortilla chips as a dip
- Topped with lettuce as a salad
- Topped with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Topped with thinly sliced jalapeños for an extra kick
- Simply enjoyed with a fork!
How to Store Burrito Bowls
These burrito bowls will keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days, making it a great meal prep dinner for the week! It’s also super easy to reheat either in the oven or in a microwave.
Can you freeze this recipe? Yes! Let the burrito bowls cool completely before placing inside a large freezer-safe bag or air-tight container with as much air removed as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Pro tip: If you’re planning to freeze this recipe, wait to add any shredded cheese until after thawing as melted cheese can change to an undesired consistency when frozen.
Microwave: Place a serving in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1.5 – 2 minutes, or until warm to your liking all the way through.
Stove Top: Transfer burrito bowls into a nonstick pan. Sauté over medium/high heat for 3-5 minutes or until at desired temperature.
Instant Pot Burrito Bowls
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 large white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 4-oz. can green chiles
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning we used this recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- Greek yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Fresh lime juice
- First, toss the chicken chunks with one tablespoon of taco seasoning and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to the Instant Pot and turn on the sauté feature.
- When the olive oil is fragrant add the chicken to the pot and brown the chicken for 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot. The chicken is only partially cooked but will cook the rest of the way later.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and add the red and green peppers to the pot. Let them sauté for 3-4 minutes stirring every minute or so and remove from pot and set aside.
- Next, add the last tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and add the onion and garlic to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Pour the rice into the pot with the onion and toast the rice for 2 minutes.
- Finally, add the chicken back to the pot along with the diced tomatoes, green chilis, 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, salt, and chicken broth to the pot and mix.
- Cover the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Quick release pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Uncover the Instant Pot and add the bell peppers and black beans to the pot, stir, and place the cover back on the Instant Pot and let the peppers and black beans warm in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, stir, and serve burrito bowls with cheese, Greek yogurt, cheese, or any of your other favorite burrito bowl toppings.
Made this last night for dinner and my husband loves it! I have a rice allergy so we substituted in quinoa instead. We left the lid on the instant pot for 10ish minutes after adding the black beans to give it a little more time to cook and absorb the broth. Turned out perfect!
So glad to hear that quinoa worked!
I followed the directions using brown long grain rice. At the end, I ended up with crunchy rice and lots of liquid. After 5 more minutes and a slow release, it was better but still soupy. We had a bowl and it was very good – just wish it would have looked like the picture. Suggestions?
Brown rice takes much longer to cook than white rice. I typically pressure-cook white rice for 8-12 min, and do brown rice for 20-22 minutes. Maybe try cooking the brown rice for 10-12 minutes, and then add in the chicken and cook for an additional 10 minutes?