This piña colada recipe is made with frozen pineapple, frozen coconut meat, white rum, and coconut cream, making it naturally sweetened and so refreshing.
I’ve never met a Piña Colada I didn’t like and this one is made with whole, frozen coconut, frozen pineapple, and rum.
Best Ever Piña Colada
What I love about this Piña colada recipe is that there’s no need for any added sugar other than frozen fruit. Natural sugars from the pineapple and coconut will leave this homemade piña colada so refreshing and delicious.
What is a piña colada? A classic piña colada is made with rum, coconut milk, pineapple juice, and ice. It’s then blended and consumed frozen.
What does a piña colada taste like? Piña coladas taste like a frozen coconut and pineapple smoothie with a dash of rum. They are so refreshing to drink on a hot day.
How is this piña colada different than the classic? Our piña colada isn’t actually made with ice. It’s actually made with frozen coconut meat and frozen pineapples in order to avoid the ice. It tastes quite similar to the classic drink, but uses whole ingredients.
Get our Top 10 5-Star Recipes!
Join our email list for new recipes and BONUS: get our top 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
Piña Colada Main Ingredients
We wanted to use as whole of ingredients as possible in this piña colada recipe, which I why there is no juice or ice involved.
Frozen pineapple: you can either freeze your own pineapple or buy it frozen at the grocery store (what we do).
Frozen coconut meat: frozen coconut meat can be found near the frozen fruit and vegetables at most grocery stores. We get ours from Fresh Thyme.
White rum: white rum is the boozy star of the show! Feel free to use your favorite white rum. Ours is a Minnesota brand called Skaalvenn.
Coconut cream: coconut cream is the thick white part found in a can of full-fat coconut milk.
Coconut water: coconut water is the liquid part found in a can of full-fat coconut milk.
What rum is best for piña coladas?
The best kind of rum for a piña colada is white rum. But, if all you have is spiced rum or coconut rum, that works too! Here are some of our favorite brands:
- Skaalvenn (MN-based!)
- Captain Morgan
How to Make Pinã Colada
- Place frozen pineapple, frozen coconut, rum, coconut cream, and coconut water into a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high for 60 seconds, stopping to scrape the sides. Blend again until smooth. Add more coconut water as needed if your piña colada is too thick.
- Serve piña colada immediately with a garnish of fresh pineapple.
Fun Flavor Variations
Strawberry: add half frozen strawberries and half frozen pineapple for
Orange: instead of the coconut water, use orange juice instead.
Blueberry: add half frozen blueberries and half frozen pineapple for a blueberry twit.
Mango: sub out the frozen pineapple for frozen mango instead.
Piña Colada Recipe
- 1.5 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 16 oz. frozen coconut meat
- 2 oz. white rum or to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut cream*
- 1/4 cup coconut water*
- Place all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with pineapple and shredded coconut. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make sure to blend your drink really well! You don’t want to be chewing on coconut pieces.
- The coconut cream is the thick white part in a can of coconut cream— the coconut water is the clear liquid underneath (or you can use a bottled coconut water).