how to bake eggs in the oven

I have never in my 22 years of life…baked an egg. Ive scrambled, frittata-ed, omeletized, hard boiled, fried, over-easy-ed my eggs…but never straight up cracked an egg and baked it.

This is definitely my new favorite [and healthy] snack.

All you have to do is set your oven to 350F, grease a muffin tin with non stick cooking spray, and crack your eggs into the tin. Then add some flavor with a little shake of salt and pepper. Bake for about 17 minutes and viola.

It has the texture of a hard boiled egg, but you don’t have to deal with peeling the shell off of it. They literally slide right out of the pan. These would be the perfect on-the-go egg sandwich for a quick AM breakfast. I paired mine with leftover roasted sweet potato quinoa, topped with some feta for a meatless, high protein lunch.

I ate this dish cold, but in all honesty…I never reheat anything. I had one of the eggs hot, right out of the oven and it was pretty tasty, but I prefer them cold.

Check out some of my other egg-based FFF dishes…

Have you ever made baked eggs in the oven?

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I will have to try this for my kids for a school breakfast or lunch with an ice pack. I do not use a microwave in my house so this will be helpful.

2. Anonymous says

I’ve been doing this since I was a kid…never realized it wasn’t common. Mom taught me how to bake eggs before I was scrambling or frying.

3. Janine says

I make egg muffins. Chop up some green, yellow or red peppers (not a hole one), some onion, tomato, and sausage. i use a whole pkg of farmer john sausage links chop them up and cook them separate from your onion mixture. Mix 12 eggs in bowl, pour your onion mix in with eggs and pour mixture in a muffin pan. Then divide up your chopped up sausage into the egg muffins. bake at 350 for about 20 mins. Its quick and good to grab in the morning on the go.

4. Anonymous says

Cook some grits until almost done then add some cooked crumbled bacon or sausage… add a little of the grits mixture to the muffin cup then crack an egg on top… bake as noted in the recipe and Bam… you have a grits, egg, bacon meal to go!

5. Kim @ AQuietCouple says

Thanks for the idea! These were terrific – just finished eating my maiden attempts. I made one plain baked, and then made one egg scrambled with some onion, mushroom, and tomato (just leftover veggies I had on hand). The scrambled one made enough to fill two muffin cups. I had one on an English muffin and the others just by themselves. Added a little salsa and they were delicious! A low calorie, high protein breakfast!

6. Lori says

My husband just tried them and said they were really good. Yay…thanks Lee for posting this recipe. :-) Oh yeah….let them cool for a few minutes so you do not scorch your mouth after they come out of the oven. Made them like a McDonald’s sausage,egg and cheese McMuffin. :-)

7. Anonymous says

Another great “baked egg” recipe: take a box of stovetop stuffing and make as directed. Press this evenly into muffin cups, crack an egg on top of each. Top with shredded cheese and crumbled (cooked) bacon. Bake. :)

8. Denise says

LOVE! Was looking for an easy way to get girl scouts their eggs in the morning with out waste! I just tested both whole egg and scrambled! My kids LOVED it! Thank you for this! A savior!

I love this method of oven baked eggs. I do however have a question regarding the eggs not being baked to hard boiled. Can I reduce the bake time to have the eggs come out like over medium? If so, how long do you suggest bake time?

Thanks for your help.

Judith

In the Paleolithic period dairy products were not consume because animals
    had not been domesticated. It’s a protein found in wheat, including kamut,
    spelt, barely and rye. Chef Deb is committed to making your life better – starting with your
    baking.

Here is my web site: gluten free oreos