Take an hour and make these delicious meal prep carnitas burrito bowls so that you can have an easy on-the-go meal ready for during the week!
The last time I went to Europe I was in college; it was the year 2009. Lin and I took a summer course together in Florence for 4 weeks. We joke that Italy is where we fell in love. 😛 But really- it’s where we got to know each other REALLY well. At this point in my life, I was pre-eating disorder (you can read about my story here)…actually I think I was in full swing. I cared wayyyy to much about trying to fit a workout in before class and making sure I had healthy options to eat, than experiencing the Italian culture. While I wasn’t restricting big time like I started to do a few months later, I was having negative body image thoughts and food/fitness was consuming my every thought.
Looking back I shake my head and think that I missed such an amazing opportunity to be young and free in a foreign country, but I wouldn’t take it back for a second. I learned a lot about myself that trip and the months/years following that. I learned a lot about self love, what makes me happy and why, and how to be present. It’s fun to reminisce with Lin about how far we’ve both come in life and the fact we’ve known each other for 9 years! Yup- Lin was Team Fit Foodie before it even existed.
There are so many things I am going to do different this time around in Europe, like drink really good wine…every night, order what the locals do, stay up late, not worry about working out every damn day, EXPLORE, and just be young…damnit. I feel like my early 20’s were a little bit skewed because of my disordered eating and poor relationship with exercise and food. I am in such a better place right now and I actually know what FUN and HAPPINESS feels like. SO WATCH OUT EUROPE….12 days and counting!
BOWLS BOWLS BOWLS.
People ask me what I eat on the daily, and it’s pretty much a rendition of the same thing every day. A BUDDHA BOWL!
- WHOLE GRAINS
- HEALTHY FATS
Boom chicka boom. The only thing I’m really going to miss while I’m in Europe (okay, Lin…you too!), is my daily bowl of goodness. Especially this recipe in particular. It’s got all my favs.
It’s been a while since I made anything with pork and a few weeks ago when I was in Milwaukee I had the most amazing taco + street corn salad combo from a food truck called Gypsy Taco, which is actually the inspiration for this bowl! SO MANY FLAVORS IN ONE BITE.
In this particular recipe I brought back a FFF fav- Cilantro Lime Brown Rice! You can’t go wrong with that addition. And- because you can never have too many greens…I served it on top of some crunchy romaine!
- 1 pound pork loin (option to use chicken breast instead)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons orange juice
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 3 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup green chiles
- 1 can yellow sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup cojita cheese, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Black beans
- 4-8 cups Romaine
- Lime wedges
- Place pork loin and minced garlic into your crock-pot and turn to high. Cook for 2-4 hours. Or turn to low and slow cook for 6-8 hours (for more tender pork!). Remove pork loin and shred with 2 forks. Place shredded pork into a large bowl and add in the rest of the carnitas ingredients and mix.
- Mix together all ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Place about 2 cups of romaine lettuce on the bottom of your bowl. Then add ¼ of the meat (4 oz.), about ¾ cups cilantro lime brown rice, ½ cup street corn, and ¼ cup black beans.
- Serve with fresh lime and more cojita!