Looking for a healthier twist on the traditional Sweet and Sour Chicken dish? Look no further! This Amazingly Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe is packed with sautéed chicken breast and veggies, and a secret ingredient in the sauce that your taste buds will just love! Sweet and Sour Chicken has never tasted so good.
We’re here today with our friends at POM Wonderful to share the most delicious healthy sweet and sour chicken recipe you’ve ever had. Seriously, we’re absolutely giddy about this recipe over here because we’re featuring POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice in one of our all-time fave takeout orders. Shhh…it’s our secret ingredient for this sweet and sour chicken sauce! It’s a little sweet, a little tart, and the absolute hero in this sweet and sour chicken recipe.
It’s no secret that traditional sweet and sour chicken recipes are filled with added sugar, fried chicken and very few veggies, so we set out to add a healthy twist to this dish. Go ahead and swap your sweet and sour chicken takeout order with this delicious (and easy!) recipe that packs a unique and refreshing pomegranate flavor (and adds antioxidants!) from POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice. BOOYA. Now speaking of this delicious sauce, here’s what we used:
Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken Sauce
- POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- Tamari (or Soy Sauce)
- Tomato Paste
- Corn Starch
This sauce is super quick to whip together, which gives you a chance to add the sliced chicken breasts to the sauce to marinate for 15 minutes while you prep the rest of the veggies and get ready to sauté this healthy sweet and sour chicken. This recipe is absolutely delicious served as a lettuce wrap with any bib lettuce or cabbage for a low carb option, or with your grain of choice like rice or quinoa.
Other Healthy Take Out Alternatives on Fit Foodie Finds
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Instant Pot Vegan Pad Thai
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Honey Sriracha Chicken
- Honey Ginger Chicken Stir Fry
- Healthy Kung Pao Chicken
- Instant Pot Korean Beef Bowls
Sweet and Sour Chicken Sauce
- 1/2 cup POM Wonderful Pomegranate Juice
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt, to taste
- Begin by making your sweet and sour chicken sauce/marinade. In a large bowl, combine POM Wonderful Pomegranate Juice, tamari, tomato paste, honey, and sriracha. Set aside
- Next, prep your chicken by slicing into thin, 1-inch chunks. Then, place chicken breast into the same bowl as your marinade. Set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- While your chicken is marinating, prepare vegetables by chopping red and green peppers as well as 1/2 a yellow onion.
- Heat 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan or wok over medium/high heat. Once the olive oil is fragrant, add in vegetables and saute for about 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent. Remove vegetables from saucepan and set aside.
- Add 1.5 tablespoons more of olive oil into the same pan and spoon the chicken breast from marinade (leaving the rest of the marinade in the bowl) into the pan. Saute on medium/high for 7-9 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Add in veggies and give your stir-fry a quick mix. Then, turn your burner down to low and push your stir fry to one side of the pan and add in the rest of your sweet and sour sauce from the bowl into the pan.
- Sprinkle on 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch and use a spoon or fork to dissolve into the sauce. Once dissolved, mix the sauce with the stir-fry and continue to simmer for 2-3 more minutes so that the sauce can fully thicken.
- Serve stir-fry over your favorite grain or inside of a lettuce wrap for a low carb option!
Tips & Notes
- Serving: Option to serve this dish over your favorite grain or inside of lettuce wrap for a low carb option.
- Storage: store healthy sweet and sour chicken in an air-tight, glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Nutrition is for 6 servings and does NOT include rice.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 266 Sugar: 17 Fat: 10 Carbohydrates: 22 Fiber: 2 Protein: 25
Keywords: sweet and sour chicken