This Chicken Apple Sausage Quinoa Casserole is packed with shredded brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes. It is the perfect healthy meal for an easy weeknight dinner or is perfect for meal prep for the week! It is high in protein and delicious!
When fall rolls around I begin to crave things like chili, potatoes, creamy soups, and pork roast. My body knows exactly when it is time to nest for the winter and immediately wants to make sure my body is nourished.
I do in fact love a good chili and we always have potatoes in our pantry, but I try to incorporate healthy green vegetables and whole ingredients like quinoa into my diet throughout the fall and winter months!
This Apple Chicken Sausage Quinoa Casserole is a great meal to add to your list for the week. It has delicious seasonal vegetables like sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts. All you have to do is throw everything into the casserole dish, brown your chicken sausage, and mix up your dressing. That’s right, THE DRESSING. The dressing for this quinoa casserole takes this dish to the next level.
One other thing I really love about this quinoa bake is that I usually have everything I need for this dish in my pantry or the refrigerator. Stock your pantry so that you are ready to make this quinoa casserole whenever you crave it!
Quinoa Casserole Pantry Staples
Q’s About Quinoa
What is quinoa good for?
Quinoa is packed with protein and fiber. In fact, quinoa makes up a complete protein on its own! Adding quinoa into vegetarian and vegan dishes is a great way to add protein to any meal. You can also incorporate quinoa flour and quinoa flakes into baked goods and oatmeal. There are so many options!
Is Quinoa better for you than rice?
It all depends on what your personal nutrition goals are! Quinoa is higher in protein, but rice is packed with fiber. Please talk to an RD for your specific nutritional needs.
Is quinoa a superfood?
Quinoa is a superfood. In fact, did you know that quinoa is not even a grain? Bobs Red Mill talks about how quinoa is a part of the quinoa, spinach, and beet family (crazy, right?!)
Is quinoa gluten free?
Yes, quinoa is naturally gluten free! However, if you are celiac please make sure you do research on where your quinoa is processed. Sometimes there is cross contamination in factories (yikes).
Is quinoa paleo?
You can not eat quinoa if you are following a strict paleo diet.
Healthy Quinoa Recipes
- 10 Healthy Quinoa Recipes
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- How to Cook Quinoa in the Microwave
- Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad with Quinoa
- How to Make Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- Baked Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake
- Quinoa Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- 1 cup white quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 4 Apple Chicken Sausages, fully cooked
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a 9×13 casserole dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Next, prep veggies by peeling and dicing sweet potatoes, chopping onion, and shredding brussels sprouts. Place veggies in the casserole dish and add in olive oil, spices, salt and pepper. Toss the veggies until everything is fully coated by olive oil.
- Add quinoa, broth, and vinegar to the casserole dish and mix well.
- Cover casserole dish with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- While casserole is baking, add all ingredients for the dressing into a jar. Close tight and shake until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Remove from oven and place sliced chicken sausage on top of the casserole. Turn oven to broil and broil for 2-4 minutes (making sure to watch it closely).*
- Remove from oven and add dressing. Mix well and serve.
Tips & Notes
*If you don’t have a top broiler in your oven, brown sausages in a fry-pan and then place on casserole after you remove the casserole from the oven after the first 40 minutes.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 342 Sugar: 10 Sodium: 694 Fat: 14 Carbohydrates: 40 Fiber: 5 Protein: 17