Looking for a simple cold salad that doubles as relish and triples as a dip? Make our black bean corn salad. It’s made with fresh ingredients cilantro, jalapeño, cotija cheese, and lime juice.
If this doesn’t scream summer, I don’t know what does. Seriously, I’m salivating thinking about eating this black bean and corn salad paired next to cilantro lime chicken and a homemade grapefruit margarita.
This black bean and corn salad is fresh to the max. That’s right, there are no store-bought spices involved, just fresh herbs, lime, and all the veggies.
Why make black bean corn salad?
If the photos don’t sway you enough into make this delicious black bean and corn salad, here are a few other reasons:
Black beans are high in fiber and give this salad great “meaty” texture.
Fresh cilantro is great for balancing blood sugar and gives this salad that fresh Mexican flavor you love.
Lime juice is great for digestion and is also an immune-boosting fruit.
Diced jalapeños not only give this black bean and corn salad a hefty spice kick, but they’re also a great source of fiber and vitamin c.
Is black bean and corn salad healthy?
If you are looking for a fresh and healthy cold salad to whip up, this black bean corn salad is a healthy option because of its high fiber content and fresh, whole ingredients. It’s packed with so many veggies and legumes making it a healthy salad option.
Black Bean Corn Salad Ingredients
We’re so excited about all of the fresh ingredients in this salad. It’s a rainbow of colors and a wonderful combination of flavors. Here’s what you need:
- black beans: we used canned black beans that were drained and rinsed, but you can also make your own.
- corn: our favorite thing to do is to cut corn kernels straight off the cob using our grilled corn in foil recipe, but canned corn works just as well.
- jalapeño: we love using fresh jalapeños in this recipe, but you can also go for canned if that’s easier.
- tomatoes: there are so many variations of tomatoes out there, so use what you have. We opted for multi-colored cherry tomatoes.
- cilantro: cilantro adds such a wonderful, fresh flavor to this black bean and corn salad. Make sure to use fresh!
- onion: a little bit of minced onions goes a long way.
- cotija cheese: cotija cheese is a salty Mexican cheese. You can also use queso fresco if you have that!
- lime juice: fresh lime juice is the basis of the vinaigrette dressing that ties everything together for this black bean corn salad.
- apple cider vinegar: ACV adds a little zing. If you don’t have it, you can use a little white vinegar too.
- salt: whatever you do, don’t skip the salt! Salt helps bring out all of these delicious flavors.
If any other fresh veggies or protein are screaming your name, feel free to get creative with this salad and add what you have! Bell peppers, shredded chicken, or any other bean would be delish in this!
How to Make Black Bean Corn Salad
Now that you know what goes in this delicious salad, here’s a quick rundown of how to make it! Pssst: it only takes 5 minutes!
- Assemble: Assemble all of your ingredients by chopping and measuring.
- Mix: Place all of your black bean and corn salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Serve: Serve as a salad, dip, or relish!
You can serve this black bean and corn salad as a side salad next to your favorite protein or as a dip with tortilla chips. You can even use it as a relish on top of tacos! We just love the versatility of this black bean and corn salad.
What to Serve with Black Bean Corn Salad
Since this is a Mexican-inspired salad, we thought we would share some other dishes that pair quite nicely with this yummy salad on the side.
- Carnitas: This carnitas recipe sits in the slow cooker all day in delicious juices. It is shredded and crisped up in the oven for the most delicious carnitas you’ll ever eat!
- Ground Beef Nachos: Ground beef nachos are a delicious weeknight dinner that whips together in less than 30 minutes!
- Beer Can Chicken: Whether you make beer butt chicken on the grill or in the oven, it easy to prepare and even easier to cook! Get out your favorite dry rub and your favorite can of light beer and make this beer can chicken today.
- Crock Pot Chicken Tacos: The most tender, flavorful Crockpot Chicken Tacos made with just 4-ingredients! Season chicken breasts with taco seasoning and then cook them in a slow cooker with a jar of salsa and taco night is ready in no time.
- Skinny Margarita: Say hello to our gorgeous skinny margarita recipe that we like to call –> Fit Foodie Margaritas!
Got leftover Black Bean corn salad? Simply transfer it into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Black Bean Corn Salad
- 2 cups sweet corn canned, frozen, or grilled
- 1 15- oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium red onion minced (1/2 cup)
- 1.5 cup cherry tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup cotija cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno optional
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Season with more lime juice and salt, to taste.
- Serve as a salad, dip, or relish. Your choice!