These seriously delicious grilled boneless chicken thighs are marinated in a homemade honey mustard chicken marinade and grilled to perfection.
Juicy Grilled Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
Juicy grilled boneless chicken thighs begin with a marinade and end with charring them over direct heat on the grill.
In this post, we’ll give you a recipe for an epic honey mustard chicken marinade + share tips and tricks for perfect grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs!
Why you’ll love it!
Ready in < 1 Hour
Become a Pro at Cooking Chicken!
We’ll teach you everything you need to know on how to cook chicken perfectly every time + we’ll share our top chicken recipes when you subscribe to our emails today!
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs: we’re using boneless chicken thighs for this recipe because they cook quickly and are easy to find. They also come out super juicy!
Can I use another cut of chicken? Yes! This recipe will work with bone-in chicken thighs along with chicken breasts.
Honey Mustard Chicken Marinade: this homemade marinade is so flavorful and will leave your grilled boneless chicken thighs so juicy!
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Whole grain mustard
- Lemon juice
- Soy sauce
- Veggies: garlic, white onion, and chives
Tips for Grilling Boneless Chicken Thighs
Marinate your chicken thighs: we swear by marinating chicken thighs because it infuses the poultry with so much flavor.
Pro tip: set aside about 1/4 cup of marinade so that you can glaze the chicken with it right before removing it from the grill!
Oil grill grates: by rubbing oil onto your grill grates, you help prevent your chicken thighs from sticking.
Grill over medium/high heat: cook the thighs at around 400ºF for around 4-5 minutes on each side.
Grill over direct heat: we prefer grilling boneless chicken thighs over direct heat so they get those gorgeous char marks.
Cook until 160ºF: if you remove the thighs when the internal temperature reaches 160ºF, they will continue cooking as they sit about 5 more degrees.
Let rest: make sure to let the chicken thighs rest for around 5-10 minutes after you remove them from the grill so that they can continue cooking around 5 more degrees.
Want to bake these boneless chicken thighs instead? Here’s how:
- Transfer the chicken thighs and the marinade into an oven-safe dish.
- Bake at 400ºF for around 18-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF – 165ºF.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and then serve.
How long does it take to grill chicken thighs boneless?
It takes around 10 minutes at 400ºF to grill boneless chicken thighs.
What temperature do you grill boneless chicken thighs?
Grill boneless skinless chicken thighs at around 400ºF.
How do you keep chicken thighs from drying out on the grill?
We have found that grilling your thighs on medium/high heat over direct heat for 8-10 minutes will help them stay nice and juicy on the inside.
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat: microwave on high for 60-90 seconds.
Easy Chicken Thighs Marinade
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (~6 thighs)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- ¼ medium white onion thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives minced
- Remove the chicken from the packaging and pat the chicken thighs with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prepare the chicken marinade by adding the apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce, and honey to a bowl and whisk to combine. Drizzle the olive oil into the bowl while whisking until well combined. Add the garlic, white onion, and chives to the marinade and mix.
- Set around 1/4 cup of marinade aside for glazing later. Then, place the chicken in a gallon sized bag or a deep dish and pour the marinade over the chicken thighs. Flip the chicken thighs over in the marinade so the chicken thighs are coated in the marinade.
- Let the chicken sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Cook using the method of your choice.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes so that the internal temperature can rise to 165ºF before cutting into it.
Tips & Notes
- We prefer to use boneless chicken thighs in this marinade recipe, but you can use bone-in thighs if you’d like.
- We kept any onion that stuck to the chicken thighs on the thigh and it added a ton of flavor and texture.
- Baking instructions: transfer the chicken thighs and the marinade into an oven-safe dish. Bake at 400ºF for around 18-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF – 165ºF.
- Grilling instructions: preheat the grill to 400ºF and carefully rub your grill grates with oil. Grill chicken thighs for 4-5 minutes over direct heat on each side or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160ºF. About 1 minute before you take the thighs off the grill, brush them with the marinade you set aside. This will add so much flavor.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.