This air fryer chicken thighs recipe will get you super crispy chicken without deep frying! Dry rub your chicken thighs and then air fry for around 16 minutes, flipping halfway through. It’s that simple.
We love to air fry chicken thighs and so do you! This is one of our most popular air fryer recipes and so many of you have rated it 5-stars and made it time and time again.
And best of all, when you cook chicken thighs in the air fryer you don’t need to use tons of oil like you do when deep frying. Instead, you use a drizzle on just a little bit and let the air fryer do the work!
What You Need to Air Fry Chicken Thighs
Chicken thighs (bone-in): for this recipe, we’re using bone-in thighs. We love how juicy the insides come out with bone-in thighs. Feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs if that is your jam. We recommend lowering the cooking time by a few minutes on each side to prevent over-cooking.
Olive oil: olive oil is used to make sure these chicken thighs come out nice and crispy. Feel free to swap for a different oil.
Spices: the spice combination in this recipe is so delicious. We’re using salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, and brown sugar.
Become a Pro at Cooking Chicken!
We’ll teach you everything you need to know on how to cook chicken perfectly every time + we’ll share our top chicken recipes when you subscribe to our emails today!
Variations and Substitutions
You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. Just lower the cooking time to 16-18 minutes, depending on how thick your chicken thighs are.
Marinated chicken thighs in the air fryer are delicious too, but they may not come out as crispy due to the added moisture.
How long should I cook chicken thighs in air fryer?
Set your air fryer to 400ºF and cook your chicken thighs for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Can you put raw chicken in an air fryer?
Yes, you can cook raw chicken in the air fryer. It’s one of the best ways to get it nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
How many minutes do you air fryer chicken?
Chicken thighs will take around 16-20 minutes depending on the size of the thigh. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temp for doneness.
How long to air fry chicken thighs?
Cook chicken thighs in the air fryer for 20 minutes at 400ºF, flipping halfway through.
How do I know when my chicken thighs are fully cooked?
The best way to know if your chicken thighs are fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer. Make sure that the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken is 165ºF.
Once your chicken thighs have cooled, transfer them into an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-5 days.
To reheat: air fry at 350ºF for 2-3 minutes. Or, microwave on high for around 60 seconds.
How to Serve Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Complete your meal with some of our favorite easy side dishes.
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Roasted Red Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF and spray the inside of the basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the chicken by patting them dry with a piece of paper towel.
- Add the garlic powder, paprika, dried thyme, salt, and brown sugar to a bowl and mix until combined. Then sprinkle the dry rub over the chicken thighs. Be sure the dry rub covers the entire chicken thigh.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down into the air fryer and drizzle the chicken thighs with olive oil. You may have to do this in two batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Set the air fryer for 8 minutes, flip the chicken thighs, and cook the chicken thighs for an additional 6-10 minutes depending on the size of your thighs.
- If the internal temperature of the chicken is 160ºF – 165ºF and the skin is crispy, remove the chicken thighs from the air fryer. If you would like your chicken thighs crispier, cook them for an additional 2 minutes. Let the chicken sit for 3-5 minutes and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- The cook time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken thighs.
- If you’re using boneless, skinless thighs, decrease the cooking time by 2-4 minutes.
- For best results, do not stack the chicken thighs in the air fryer.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.