Perfectly crispy baked sweet potato fries ready in 30 minutes. In this post, we’re sharing all of our secrets for perfect crispy sweet potato fries every time!
You’re Going to love these Sweet Potato Fries
We have a wide variety of sweet potato recipes on Fit Foodie Finds –> roasted sweet potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, you name it! These baked sweet potato fries truly take the prize for our favorite sweet potato recipe!
So, say hello to the crispiest sweet potato fries, ever!
Why Make These?
You don’t have to go out to eat to enjoy a basket of sweet potato fries. You can pop a pan of these baked sweet potato fries into the oven (yes, these fries are baked) and have golden-brown, crispy sweet potato fries in less than 30 minutes.
- Healthier: baked not fried, but still the same crispiness? Heck yes.
- Best Side: Sweet potato fries make a great side dish, a fun appetizer at a party, or even as the main dish for a lazy night at home. Get that cutting board out and start chopping!
- Ready in 30-Minutes: While you’re grilling up your turkey burgers or air frying your chicken tenders, these fries will be baking in the oven for just 30 minutes.
- Kid-Friendly: Ever had a kid say no to fries?! Didn’t think so.
#1 Secret for CRISPY Baked Sweet Potato Fries
How did we get these oven baked sweet potato fries so crispy you ask? A secret ingredient —> corn starch!
Corn starch is great for crisping up sweet potato fries because it helps absorb the moisture from the sweet potatoes and creates the most delicious crunchy outer layer.
All the Toppings
Don’t skip the corn starch! If you don’t have corn starch we recommend using tapioca flour.
More Tips + Tricks
How you cut the fries matters
There are so many different ways you can cut a sweet potato fry. Some people like wedges and some people like shoestring fries. We cut these fries into a traditional french fry cut that is 1/4 inch thick rectangle fries.
We found that the 1/4-inch thickness allows them to cook perfectly in the oven while also crisping up on the outside.
What about the skin? You can either leave the skin-on (our preference) or you can peel it before slicing your fries.
We kept the seasoning for these crispy baked sweet potato fries simple with a teaspoon of garlic powder, salt and pepper. It is delicious!
If you would like to spice up your crispy baked sweet potato fries, try a couple of teaspoons of any of the homemade spice mixes below. Or, even just a pinch of smoked paprika or cayenne pepper would be delicious too.
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Homemade Moroccan Spice Mix
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
Add the corn starch before the oil.
Corn starch is the brains of this operation! Make sure that you toss the sweet potato fries in the corn starch mixture BEFORE you drizzle oil on top.
We found that if you do it the other way around, the corn starch will clump and not apply as evenly.
Bake at a high temperature.
Bake these sweet potato fries at 425ºF. It’s a high enough temperature to cook the sweet potato fries evenly throughout while perfectly crisping up outsides of the fries.
Every oven is different. That is why we recommend checking your baked sweet potato fries every 10 minutes until golden brown!
All the Questions
Are sweet potato fries healthy?
Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin A. Also, the way you prepare your fries can determine whether they are a healthy option or not. Baking sweet potato fries rather than frying them is a healthier option.
What can you eat with sweet potato fries?
If you don’t plan on making sweet potatoes your main dish (which is totally acceptable), there are many dishes that sweet potato fries compliment. We love serving sweet potato fries with the dishes below.
- Roasted Garlic Black Bean Quinoa Burger
- Lemon Dill Salmon Burgers
- Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken
Can I use normal potatoes in this recipe?
Though we suggest using sweet potato fries in this recipe, you can use russet or Idaho potatoes if you’re in a pinch.
Why are my baked sweet potato fries soggy?
It’s likely that your fries are soggy because you baked them at too low of a temperature. Cooking them lower and slower will result in a more tender fry instead of crispy.
How do you store sweet potato fries?
Sweet potato fries are best if you serve them immediately after baking. However, if you have any fries leftover they will last for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat the fries, place them on a baking sheet, drizzle them in oil, and bake them at 425ºF until they become crispy again.
Can you freeze sweet potato fries?
We don’t recommend freezing already-cooked, homemade sweet potato fries as these are 100x better eaten fresh.
- 1 large sweet potato (cut into 1/8 – 1/4 inch fries)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- coarse sea salt, for topping
- First, preheat the oven to 425ºF and spray a standard-size baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, prep your sweet potato by slicing it into 1/4-inch fries. The key is to get all of your fries around the same thickness so that they cook evenly. You have the option to peel your sweet potatoes before you slice them, but we prefer skin-on.
- Place the sweet potato fries on the baking sheet. Then, combine corn starch, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle the mixture onto the sweet potato fries and then toss to make sure everything is coated.
- Drizzle on about 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil and toss again.
- Then, spread sweet potato fries out evenly on the pan, making sure they are not touching each other or overlapping. This part is important because it will allow each fry to get as crispy as possible!
- Bake fries at 425ºF for 10 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and carefully flip each fry over with tongs and place back in the oven to bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven again and flip one more time and roast for an additional 2-4 minutes.
- Once fries are nice and crispy, season them with coarse sea salt and eat them immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 83 Sugar: 1 Fat: 5 Carbohydrates: 9 Fiber: 1 Protein: 1
Keywords: baked sweet potato fries