This baked lemon pepper salmon recipe is such a delicious and easy way to prepare salmon in the oven. It only takes 12 minutes at 400ºF to whip up this healthy dinner idea!
12 Minute Salmon
You read that correctly, this baked lemon pepper salmon only takes 12 minutes in the oven before dinner is served! There are so many different ways to make salmon (in the sous vide, on the grill, seared, etc.), but baked salmon is one of my all time favorites!
We especially love making baked salmon in the oven on a cast iron pan. We’ve found that it cooks your fish or meat incredibly even and really keeps the heat in for a relatively fast cook time. So, let’s get started with this 5-ingredient lemon pepper salmon recipe!
- 2 5-oz. salmon filets
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon pepper (our favorite is the McCormick Lemon Pepper Seasoning)
- salt, to taste
- 2 lemon wedges
- lemon zest, for garnish
This specific recipe serves two, hence the 2 filets, but you can certainly double or triple this recipe and cook more than 2 at once! We actually recommend doing that for super efficient meal prep!
How to Make Lemon Pepper Salmon in the Oven
There is about 8 minutes of prep work before you start baking these bad boys in the oven. You’re going to need a plate and 4 pieces of paper towel.
Step 1: Remove Moisture
The first step in this foolproof baked salmon recipe is removing the excess moisture from your salmon. Line a large plate with paper towel. Then, place your salmon filets skin-side down on the paper towel. Place 2 more pieces of paper towel on top of the flesh and press down with your hands in order to remove moisture.
Step 2: Season Salmon
Next, spray a large cast iron pan with cooking spray and then place your salmon filets on top of it skin-side down. Season with a generous amount of lemon pepper on the flesh-side and add salt to taste. Then, place a thin wedge of fresh lemon on top of the filets.
here’s a tip
Baking sheet: you can always ditch the cast iron pan and use a baking sheet. Baking sheets are great if you’re cooking more than 2 filets because they will hold 4-6 + veggies!
Step 3: Prep Broccoli
Place about 2-3 cups of broccoli florets (however many you can fit!) around your salmon filets. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Bake
Bake at 400ºF for about 12 minutes or until the salmon has firmed up and is easy to flake. The flesh should be a lighter pink than it was raw. When you’re ready to eat, give your salmon a nice fresh squeeze of lemon juice and enjoy!
Can you use frozen salmon?
For baked lemon pepper salmon, you can use either fresh or frozen salmon! If your salmon is frozen, place the filets (still in the plastic package) in a large bowl and then fill the bowl with hot water. Let sit for about 10 minutes or until completely thawed.
How long do you bake salmon at 400ºF?
For the best baked salmon, bake at 400ºF for anywhere from 10-14 minutes. The time depends on how thick your salmon is.
Best temperature to bake salmon?
The best temperature to bake salmon at is between 400ºF and broil. The hotter the temperature the quicker it will cook.
Check out our 8 minute broiled salmon recipe!
How do I know if salmon is cooked?
You know your salmon is cook once it turns light pink in color, firms up, and is easy to flake.
How long does cooked salmon last in the fridge?
Cooked salmon typically lasts in the fridge for around 3-5 days.
Baked Lemon Pepper Salmon
Lemon Pepper Salmon
- 10 oz. salmon filets 2 5-oz. filets
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 lemon wedges
- lemon zest for garnish
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Next, prepare salmon, by placing a double piece of paper towel on a large plate. Place salmon filets on top of the paper towel, skin-side down and then place another piece of paper towel on top. Use your hands to press the paper towel into the salmon in order to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Next, spray a large cast iron skillet (a baking sheet works too!) with cooking spray and then place the salmon filets on top skin-side down.
- Sprinkle on a generous amount of lemon pepper seasoning on top of each filet. Then, season with salt to taste and place a lemon wedge on top.
- Next, prepare broccoli by cutting into medium-sized florets. Place broccoli around your salmon filets and drizzle on olive oil. Then, season with salt and pepper.
- Bake cast iron skillet at 400ºF for 12-14 minutes or until the salmon is cooked all the way through and flakey.
Tips & Notes
- Grilling Instructions: to make grilled lemon pepper salmon, heat your grill to 400ºF. Prepare salmon as directed in this recipe and then place on grill skin-side down. Grill, covered, for around 10-12 minutes or until the salmon is easy to flake and light pink in color.
Easy to follow instructions, trying this tonight:)
Can dinner actually be this easy? The answer is YES! We belong to a co-op;Sitka Salmon so we have salmon in abundance and my spousal unit has been getting bored……it proclaimed this awesome! Thank you!
YAY!! Glad you loved it <3
FYI, salmon is NOT a “meat”