Coconut quinoa is a sweet and creamy way to serve quinoa and pairs quite nicely with bowls, stir fry, or curry.
A Spin on Coconut Rice!
Coconut quinoa is made with just a few ingredients — uncooked quinoa , full-fat coconut milk, and water making this recipe a winner.
In addition, it comes together on the stovetop in no time! Make a double or triple batch for the whole week. I promise you’ll want to gobble it up.
Get our Top 10 5-Star Recipes!
Join our email list for new recipes and BONUS: get our top 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
What You Need
Full-Fat Coconut Milk: We like to use full-fat coconut milk for our coconut quinoa because it offers the best flavor and the best creamy texture. Other coconut milks that would work are below!
Quinoa: we recommend white quinoa for this recipe, but you can get by with red or tri-colored too!
Sweetener: Maple syrup is one of our favorite natural sweeteners. We love the flavor the maple gives the coconut quinoa. However, feel free to use honey or agave as a sweetener substitute!
How to Make it
- lace coconut milk, water, maple syrup, and quinoa into a saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let the quinoa cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked.
Why is my coconut quinoa watery?
There are a couple of reasons your coconut quinoa could be watery…
- You didn’t measure correctly. Make sure your quinoa-to-liquid ratio is 1:2 cups.
- The coconut quinoa isn’t done cooking.
- Sometimes quinoa doesn’t cook correctly if it’s old and expired, so be sure to check the expiration date of your quinoa!
We love serving our coconut quinoa with Asian-inspired dishes that have a little kick (just like our Thai Coconut Quinoa Bowls!). But feel free to serve it with whatever you’d like. Here are a few more ideas:
- As a side for this General Tso’s Cauliflower
- Replace the grits with coconut quinoa for this cajun shrimp
- Serve coconut quinoa with this Korean Beef
Make it dessert!
We know this coconut quinoa is delicious served next to a savory meal, but a little secret from us – we love it as dessert too!
Drizzle on a bit more maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon and it’s just divine.
Email Me this Recipe
Share your email, and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, enjoy weekly doses of recipe inspiration as a bonus!
"*" indicates required fields
Easy Coconut Quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 15 oz. canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or more, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a medium size pot.
- Bring to a rolling boil over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for around 20 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed and the quinoa has fully cooked.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition Information includes full-fat coconut milk
- This recipe was updated on March 6, 2020.