These quick pickled onions are a dream! Toss red onion with apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, a little sugar and salt. Throw them in the fridge and 2 hours later you’ve got pickled onions for dinner and the week ahead!
Quick Pickling will Change Your Life
We are a big pickled vegetable family. We love dill pickles, pickled cauliflower, and pickled onions! I remember pickling with my grandma when I was younger. It is a process to pickle cucumbers, onions, and other vegetables in the traditional way. It takes hours and commitment.
If you have avoided putting pickled onions on your burger or adding them to a salad just because you don’t want to take the time to pickle, you’re in luck! These quick pickled onions are a short cut to a delicious pickled onion.
When I say short cut, I do not mean that these pickles are less than compared to a traditionally picked vegetable. They are just different and OH so delicious.
So, get out your cutting board and a mason jar and lets PICKLE ONIONS.
All the Ingredients You Need
First things first—> What type of onion do you use for quick pickled onions?
We use red onion because they are sweeter and have a flavor that we enjoy with a quick pickled onion. We also love the color that purple onions give our pickled onions!
You CAN use white or yellow onions, too! Use what you have on hand. Other than onions, you only need a few more ingredients to pickle your onions!
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- White Vinegar
THAT’S ALL YOU NEED.
All Your Questions, Answered
How long does it take for onions to pickle?
It takes about 30 minutes for onions to being to pickle. However, let your onions pickle for about 2 hours before eating them. If you have the time, let the pickles sit overnight for optimal flavor!
How do I cut onions for quick pickled onions?
We like to cut our onions into rounds, but you can also slice onions and pickle them as well. The thinner you cut your onions, the quicker they will pickle!
What do you store pickled onions in?
You want to store pickled onions in an airtight container like a mason jar or a glass meal prep containers
How long do quick pickled onions last?
If quick pickles are stored in an air tight container, they can last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
What do I serve with quick pickled onions?
Otherwise, pickled onions are great on salads to add a bit of tang and sweetness! Serve them over any of our delicious salad recipes!
More Onion Recipes
- How to Make Caramelized Onions in the Oven
- Roasted Garlic Caramelized Onion Dip
- Easy Grilled Peppers and Onions
Watch How to Make This Recipe
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon sugar (white, brown, coconut)*
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- First, place apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, salt, and sugar into a mason jar. Screw the cover on and shake the jar until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Then, place the sliced onion into the jar. Be sure that all of the onion is covered in vinegar.
- Place the lid back on the jar and give it one more shake.
- Finally, place the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight for the optimal quick pickled onion!
Tips & Notes
*Option to add more sugar if you like sweeter pickled onions.