Taco Soup has never been easier than with this Slow Cooker Taco Soup! Packed with all the veggies, ground beef and the best taco seasoning you’ve ever had, this slow cooker taco soup is about to become your go-to twist on the traditional taco night. Enjoy!
So many soups, so little time! From this slow cooker taco soup to this golden curry chicken soup to this healthy broccoli cheese soup, we’ll help you cover all your soup bases right here on Fit Foodie Finds.
Taco Soup Ingredients
Say hello to this tall list of delicious ingredients that come together perfectly to make this delicious slow cooker taco soup:
- White onion
- Minced garlic
- Sweet bell pepper
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Sweet corn
- Diced jalapeños (or green chiles if you prefer a milder flavor)
- Sliced black olives
- Diced tomatoes
- Ground beef (or any ground meat if you prefer another variety)
Seasonings and Broth
- Chicken broth (or any broth if you prefer another variety)
- Taco seasoning
- Olive oil
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Ever since we made this homemade taco seasoning, we’ve been finding delicious ways to use it. Cue: classic beef tacos, taco zucchini boats and, of course, this slow cooker taco soup. It gives everything you make with it a delicious and savory taco flavor without a bunch of ingredients you can’t pronounce. Instead, you’ll need ingredients you likely have on hand already, including:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Coarse sea salt
- Red pepper flakes
- Ground black pepper
- Ground oregano
- Smoked paprika
Toppings for Taco Soup
This soup is packed with so many delicious ingredients, but that doesn’t mean you have to skimp on toppings! We recommend any of the following (or a combination!):
- Shredded cheese or cotija
- Lime juice
- Greek yogurt
- Tortilla chips
How to Freeze (and Thaw!) Soup
When it comes to freezing and thawing soups, not all are created equal! But this is a GREAT soup to freeze for many reasons:
- It’s packed with hearty vegetables that won’t become too mushy in the freezing and thawing process.
- It doesn’t contain dairy (which can cause an unpleasant texture when freezing and thawing).
- It makes a big ‘ol batch all at once in the slow cooker, and if you’re not serving a crowd, is really nice to save for later.
Looking for more best practices for freezing and thawing soups? We’ll walk you through everything you need to know HERE.
PS: If you’re hoping to whip up a Stovetop Taco Soup. Check out that recipe HERE!
More Taco Recipes
More Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Sweet Potato Lentil Stew
- Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- One Pot Golden Curry Chicken Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 15-oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 oz. can sweet corn drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canned diced jalapeños*
- 1 3.8oz. can sliced black olives drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 sweet bell pepper diced
- 8 cups of chicken broth or any broth
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Begin by heating a large pan over medium/high heat. Add olive oil.
- When olive oil is fragrant, add onion to the pan and let the onion saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add garlic and beef to the pan and break the meat up into small pieces. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the beef is almost cooked (some pink meat is ok).
- Add the meat mixture and the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high heat.
- Serve immediately with greek yogurt, lime juice, or fresh cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- *jalapeños- if you don't like spice, swap these for green chiles. They are much more mild and not spicy at all!
I added some tomato paste to it. Made a double batch so I don’t know if that made a difference. But the tomato paste made it better for us. I thought about adding some rice. The taco seasoning mix is really good.