This Southwestern Chicken Casserole calls for simple, healthy ingredients and gives the classic chicken casserole a run for its money!
We Love Healthy Casseroles!
It’s been a while since we posted a healthy casserole recipe, but there is no better day than today! When it comes to a casserole, we love making it a well-rounded meal. That usually means pairing a grain, with veggies, and a source of protein. Our fav kind? Chicken, of course!
Chicken is such a great protein to cook inside of a casserole because it’s juicy, lower in fat, and super high protein.
You guys are going to love this Southwestern Chicken Casserole recipe. It reminds me of a GIANT Chipotle burrito bowl. I am a huge Chipotle fan and order the same thing every time I go. Can you guess what it is? A chicken burrito bowl.
Tons of Flavor!
The basis of this flavorful chicken casserole recipe is quick-cooking brown rice, black beans, and chicken breast. Don’t worry, when it comes fo adding that flavor punch, we went big! Here’s what really gives this casserole its deliciousness.
- 1 jar of salsa
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- fresh cilantro
You could add other yummy things into this casserole such as bell pepper, green chiles, or garbanzo beans. I kept mine simple because that’s what I had on hand at the time. We’ve been running our food stock down to the ground because of upcoming travels.
Can you freeze this healthy chicken casserole?
In order to freeze this casserole, we recommend making your casserole in a disposable casserole tin. Once cooked, let the casserole cool completely and then cover with tin foil and remove as much air as possible. Then, place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 1.5 cups minute brown rice, uncooked (white or brown minute rice will work)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 15-oz. can sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks (raw)
- 1 16-oz. jar salsa (any spice level works!)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Colby Jack cheese
- optional toppings: shredded Colby Jack cheese, Greek yogurt, salsa, and green onions.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add all of the ingredients (minus the shredded cheese) into the casserole dish and mix together with a wooden spoon making sure that everything is well mixed and submerged in liquid.
- Then, cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375ºF for about 50 minutes.
- Uncover and top with shredded cheese. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Once fully cooked, let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Top with Greek yogurt, more shredded cheese, salsa, and green onions.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition information is for a serving of 8 people and includes the 1/2 cup of Colby Jack cheese
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 366 Sugar: 6 Fat: 5 Carbohydrates: 54 Fiber: 12 Protein: 27
Keywords: Chicken Casserole