This Healthy Peanut Butter Apple Streusel Bread is the perfect healthy fall bread. It’s made with white whole wheat flour, grated apples, creamy peanut butter, and coconut oil.
Sunday = Rest Day
SUNDAY! Hi. How are yah?
Is Sunday a rest day for anyone else? Mark and I have been in a really great rhythm of working out 5 days/week. We take Thursdays and Sundays off and let me tell you, it’s SPECTACULAR. I love my rest days and I NEED them. Usually, my body is destroyed from the week’s workouts and I’m physically exhausted.
I think back to the days where I NEVER took rest days and I worked my body until I was physically exhausted and ill. People, this is not good for anyone. Your body needs to rest in order to properly break down and grow muscle. That’s right. GROW MUSCLE.
I know I mentioned this about 8 weeks ago, but Mark and I finally took our 2nd body fat test after our 8-week challenge at Switch. Guess what? We both got closer to our goals! My goal was to gain muscle and lose fat and I did both! I lost about 1.3% body fat and gained 1.5 lb.s of muscle. GUESS WHAT PEOPLE? Over all I GAINED weight. That’s just the way the body works, my friends! Mark did great too. He actually lost like 8 lbs. which is awesome for him. Must be that Fit Foodie diet he’s on now that he lives in Minneapolis. Oh, and a combination of hard work!
The Best Bread
So dis bread. I posted a sneak peek on IG last week and almost broke the internet. It’s finally here! Peanut butter + apple + streusel = love. It’s made with a base of white whole wheat flour, a little bit of brown sugar (cuz why not??), grated apples, some banana, and a whole lot of streusel. Lucky for you I made a video showing you how easy it really is to make.
It’s best if eaten with a scoop of peanut butter. #truth
Can you make it vegan?
I have not tried this apple streusel bread sans eggs, but it’s on my list to do some time soon!
Can I use a different type of flour?
I also haven’t tried it subbing any other kinds of flours, but I think part oat or buckwheat flour would be delicious! One thing I would do is sub coconut flour or almond flour 1:1.
Streusel or No Streusel?
I did make this without the streusel topping and it’s definitely sweet enough as a bread without it. If you’re not into the extra sweet/sugar, feel free to skip the topping for a more toned-down version.
Healthy Bread Recipes
- Easy Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Vegan Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Apple cinnamon Muffins
Peanut Butter Apple Streusel Bread
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a bread pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the streusel topping by mixing together all ingredients into a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together white whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream together brown sugar, peanut butter, and eggs. Then, gently mix in almond milk, mashed banana, and vanilla.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Prepare apples by peeling and then finely grating. Add apples to batter and mix.
- Finally, add melted coconut oil and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into bread pan and top with the streusel you made earlier.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Let cool for at least and hour and enjoy!
Tips & Notes
- Your batter should be thick!
- Nutrition with 1/2 the streusel topping: 341 calories | 15g fat | 43g carb | 6g fiber | 22g sugar | 9g protein
- Nutrition without streusel topping: 247 calories | 9g fat | 33g carb | 3g fiber | 20g sugar | 6g protein