Air fryer salmon comes out so tender on the inside and perfectly crisped up on the outside. We flavor ours with the most delicious homemade salmon seasoning.
This 15-minute meal will get you a 48g of protein per serving!
When. in doubt, cook salmon in the air fryer. Our air fried salmon comes out perfectly cooked every time — I mean flakey goodness on the inside and crisped-up skin on the outside.
Season your salmon filets with an easy mix of spices and a drizzle of olive oil and then cook it in the air fryer at 400ºF for 7-8 minutes.
What You Need for Air Fryer Salmon
This recipe is so simple that you only need 3 things — salmon filets, salmon seasoning, and olive oil.
Try Surrender Salmon!
Our all-time favorite salmon is Surrender Salmon. They catch wild-Alaskan salmon off of Bristol Bay in Alaska. The salmon is bright orange, so flakey and delicious, and truly the best.
Surrender Salmon is a family-run company based here in Minneapolis and they are good friends of ours! Support a local business if you can.
Top Tips for Salmon in Air Fryer
Remove moisture in the salmon: before seasoning your salmon portions, use a paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible. This will help the salmon crisp up on top.
Generously season: since you’re using homemade salmon seasoning, you can gauge how much salt is being used. Don’t worry about over-seasoning because of this.
Cook skin-side down: salmon does not need to be flipped in the air fryer. Therefore, make sure to cook it skin-side down.
Drizzle with olive oil: one of our secrets to perfect salmon in the air fryer is drizzling it with olive oil before cooking. It will make the outside crispy and blackened-like, so don’t skip it!
Don’t overcook: whatever you do, don’t overcook your salmon! Cook salmon in air fryer for 7-8 minutes or until the flesh turns a pale pink color on the inside.
Can you use frozen salmon in the air fryer?
Like our air fryer chicken wings tutorial, you can cook salmon from frozen in the air fryer. Essentially the way it works is that you first defrost the salmon in the air fryer and then cook it as directed.
- So, before beginning our recipe, place frozen salmon portions skin-side down on the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 400ºF for 7-9 minutes, or until defrosted.
- Then, follow our recipe as directed.
How long to cook salmon in the air fryer.
Cook fresh salmon in the air fryer at 400ºF for around 7-8 minutes. Cook frozen salmon in the air fryer for around 14-16 minutes.
Do you have to flip salmon in the air fryer?
You do not have to flip salmon over in the air fryer because it circulates air to cook your food perfectly on both sides.
What temperature should salmon be in an air fryer?
Cook your salmon in the air fryer at 400ºF for around 7-8 minutes.
How do you know when salmon is finished?
You know when salmon is finished because it is a pale pink color, firm to touch, and flakey. You can also use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should read at least 125ºF.
Can you put aluminum foil in the air fryer?
The answer is yes, but do we recommend it? No. The reason why air fryers cook food so perfectly is because of circulation. If you line your air fryer with tin foil, you are blocking the airflow and things won’t cook properly.
Can you cook frozen salmon in air fryer?
You can essentially defrost your salmon in the air fryer and then cook it. So, yes!
Store leftover air fryer salmon in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
To reheat: we recommend reheating in the microwave on high for 60 seconds or on the stovetop on medium for 2-3 minutes.
Leftover Salmon Ideas
Got leftover salmon? Here are some quick and easy ways to use it up!
- Salmon Patties
- Salmon and Egg Scramble
- Salmon Salad
- Fiesta Salmon Rice Bowl
- Salmon Stuffed Avocados
- Smoked Salmon Breakfast Frittats
Air Fryer Salmon
Air Fryer Salmon
- 1.5 lbs. salmon filet sliced into 4 salmon steaks
- 1 tablespoon salmon seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- First, combine all of the ingredients for the salmon seasoning. Mix to combine. Set aside. Note that you will have leftover salmon seasoning, so make sure to transfer the leftovers into a jar for later.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF. Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pat the salmon steaks with a paper towel to remove moisture and then sprinkle steaks with 1 tablespoon of salmon seasoning. Be sure each steak is coated in seasoning (don’t worry about getting any of the seasoning on the skin).
- Place the salmon skin-side down in the air fryer. Drizzle the salmon with the remaining olive oil. Be sure the salmon steaks are not overcrowded or touching (two batches may be needed depending on the size of the air fryer).
- Cook the salmon for 7-8 minutes at 400ºF.
- Use a fork to test to see if the salmon is done. If that salmon flakes apart easily, remove it from the air fryer. If the salmon is not done, cook it for 1-minute increments until it is done cooking.
- Let the salmon rest for 5 minutes and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- Want to cook from frozen? Place frozen salmon portions skin-side down onto your air fryer basket. Cook at 400ºF for 7-9 minutes to defrost. Then, follow the recipe as directed.
- The salmon seasoning becomes a delicious thin crust on the outside of the salmon. It creates a blackened look so don’t be worried if it looks burnt.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.